Roaming In Rome, The Eternal City


The news about the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI was quite unexpected and while I was watching the news about his announcement, I was trying to recall my first visit to Rome 2 years ago. I could remember the day when our cruise ship docked in Civitavecchia, I was feeling giddy about the thought of going to Rome for the first time. It was a Wednesday and I know for a fact that every Wednesday is Papal Audience day in the Vatican. Together with some friends, we took a train to Rome.

Ticket to Rome


Traveling to Rome
My friend almost tipped this signage over trying to make a point that she has arrived in Rome


With my Spanish and Filipina friends posing outside the walls of St. Peter's




More Friends inside the St. Peter's Square



Swiss Guard on post waiting for the Pope to emerge out of St. Peter's Basillica



Pope Benedict XVI passing by on his popemobile blessing the crowd. This was the closest I could get to a Pope.

At St. Peter's Square attending the Wednesday Papal Audience of Pope Benedict XVI

After taking some pictures at St. Peter's Square, I walked all the way to Castel Sant' Angelo.




Castel Sant' Angelo

View of the Bridge from Castel Sant' Angelo


On my own, I decided to navigate this labyrinthine Roman Streets and in my wanderings, I saw myself standing at the Fontana Dei Quattro Fiumi.




It is the Fountain of the Four Rivers right at the center of Piazza Navona

Shown here on the left is the River God Ganges

From Piazza Navona, I decided to go to the Colosseum. I didn't have any map of some sort so I decided to take a cab to the Colosseum.


In front of the Colosseum
It is a long walk all the way from Piazza Navona to the Colosseum and it was a good thing that I decided to take a cab. I didn't have much time to spend in Rome. It was really a whirlwind day tour.



I was able to join another group of Filipinos so I went with them to the Piazza Venezia.



On the steps of Altar of the Fatherland

View of Piazza Venezia from the Altar of the Fatherland

From the Piazza Venezia, we found our way to the famous Trevi fountain, where we dropped of couse a few coins and made a wish. It is believed that those who make a wish at the Trevi Fountain will find their way back to Rome.

The Famous Trevi Fountain

Just made my wish and hoping to come back to Rome



Of course, the day ended with another visit to St. Peter's Basilica

List of names of Popes since St. Peter

View of the Square from the Basilica
Feeling "papal" with the Swiss Guards








Like it? Share it.

Comments

Popular Posts