Halfway There

It has been 15 weeks since I came aboard the Voyager of the Seas and worked as the first Medi-Spa Physician for the said vessel. In my previous blog I made mention of the contributing factors that led me to this chapter in my life. It wasn't an enthusiastic choice to be a Medi-Spa physician. But I felt that Destiny allowed me to experience being one in order to help me grow both as a person and as a medical professional. It was very difficult at first, humbling to be more exact. However, this experience broadened my horizon and vision of life. It became almost a learning experience for me, a front seat perspective of the life of my fellow Overseas Filipino Workers. I have basically 10 more weeks to go and I will be back in the Philippines, hopefully for good. After all, there is still no place like home.

Sure, the money here is good. "Amazing" even as some of my friends here on board would say. Still, I feel there is more to do than just earning money. Not that you don't need it. I do. Everybody does. Let is be pragmatic about it and admit. But to focus one's energies for hoarding such "wealth" is a life half-lived. I always felt that I was made for something great, made for a greater purpose. Perhaps I am not yet ready to fulfill such great purpose (and this may even sound so egocentric) but I am certain that I was born for something. I could feel it in my bones and I can only suppress my impatience. This part of my life is perhaps another way of preparing me for that greater purpose. In a sense I am not yet ready.

For now, I am living in the present, motivated by the image of an ideal future. I am earning enough for my family, gaining new connections, learning how to work with different cultures, learning new skills never taught in medical school (like marketing and business management).

Of course, it is also a good venue to practice my ethics and values. It can be very tempting to deviate from one's ethics. And I am not saying that I am perfect. But every day, I would always be guided by the Lasallian prayer I learned when I was still studying, "I will continue, O my God, to do all my actions for the love of you."

I am actually excited to come back home. I am excited because I feel that by the time I am done with my experience here, I can then come back to the Philippines with energies renewed and perhaps more focused than ever. Perhaps by that time, I can definitely say, "Estoy listo. Estoy listo."



Like it? Share it.

Comments

Popular Posts