Remembering Day One


A month from now, I will be attending what will be my last official CME as a Doctor to the Barrio, at Oxford Hotel, Clark, Pampanga. Time does fly fast. It has been almost two years since I started working as a Doctor to the Barrio in Candoni, Negros Occidental. I got deployed to Candoni on December 3, 2007 during the feast day of St. Francis Xavier the great missionary. My very first act as Municipal health officer was to conduct a workshop-meeting with my RHU staff on December 7, 2007. I remember my first night in my room at the Tourism Cottage. I spent my first dinner with the Municipal Treasurer who happened to be my wife's relative, and his katiwala Nong Nono. It was a quiet night, my first night to be away in a strange place. I could not sleep as well. My mind was overflowing with ideas in preparation for my first staff meeting. I was so eager to share with them my plans for the place.

Looking back, I have come to realize that the many accomplishments we were able to make were not entirely pulled out from my box of ideas. Many of these ideas and plans were contributed by the community as a whole. And I think this is a far better arrangement. This would ensure sustainability since there is this community ownership of all of these programs. Perhaps my role was simply a facilitator.


I was lucky perhaps since I have a supportive LGU, a loyal RHU staff and receptive community. At least, half of the work was already done. During my first day in Candoni, the entire municipal employees, headed by Mayor Cicero Borromeo himself, welcomed me in a simple ceremony outside of the old RHU. Before the simple program ended, everyone present sang what seemed to be the anthem of the RHU, "If we hold on together".

Many months have passed and I still could not help but feel emotional looking back to my first days in Candoni. Before I came to this place, Candoni seemed so far. But now, I can definitely say, that Candoni is my second home.






Comments

Popular Posts