Competence With Compassion: An Afternoon With Achievers

After 11 years since I graduated from USLS-IS, I was invited to speak before young Lasallian achievers during their annual recognition rites at the High School Covered Court. It was my first time to be invited by the school to be a keynote speaker for a prestigious event. I was feeling at home when I went back to my alma mater. I have to admit that I still feel awed and intimidated to be with former teachers. It has been 11 long years.

When I was introduced and while I was approaching the podium, I felt my knees trembling for the first time. I have done a lot of speaking in public but this is perhaps the first time I felt nervous. It is definitely different to be speaking infront of teachers, students and their parents. During the middle of my speech, I noticed that my hands were trembling. I had to hold the microphone with two hands just to keep the mike from trembling as well.

I was able to save my speech and I wish to share it:

Good Afternoon.
I am honored to be among fellow Lasallians. I am more honored to be invited to speak before Lasallian achievers. What you have achieved today is no small measure. I can relate to the pressure and efforts you have invested knowingly or unknowingly. Your parents and friends are in no doubt proud of what you have attained. You know for a fact that for some of you, it hasn’t always been successful. Remember the many trials and failures you had to learn before achieving the victories. For all of us, trials and failures are necessities. We learn a lot from our mistakes. We learn a lot from our failures. And while in school, we have the freedom to make a lot of mistakes.

You must be proud of yourselves being among the top students in your academics. But to be an achiever requires not only intellectual excellence but at the same time compassion. There was a story of a mother and child who went to the clinic of a popularly smart doctor to seek consultation. The child had severe pneumonia and was immediately admitted to the hospital. After a week of hospital care, the child recovered and was almost ready for discharge. The mother and child appeared to be not very wealthy and the doctor feared that he might not receive his pay. On the day of discharge, the mother approached the doctor and told him, “I am sorry doctor but my family insists of giving you this as a token of our appreciation.” She handed him a hand-made native pouch bag. The doctor was mad. “I insist madam that you should pay me my due. I cured your son and I did everything to save his life. And you would only give me this? I demand that you pay me my fee of 10,000 pesos.” The mother slowly opened the native pouch bag, took out the money inside which was worth 25,000 pesos, counted to 10,000 pesos and gave the money to the doctor. “Doctor,” she said. “I know that you are a brilliant doctor, but I was hoping that you were a better man.”

Let me remind you, fellow lasallians, that it is not enough to be competent. It is not enough that you master the technicalities and principles and theories. It is not enough that you gain the skills. Let us remember always my dear achievers that you are far beyond the I.Q. Your goal is to be a compassionate human being, equipped with the intellect and skills, devoted to the service of his fellow men. Compassion for others gives meaning and purpose and substance to your Competence. It is the compass that will guide you in your journey to life. You may have a nice car or a nice boat. But you cannot run them on empty fuel tanks. Your competence is your vehicle to where you want to go. Your compassion is your energy that will drive you to where you want to go.

So while in school, listen to your teachers. Learn from those older than you. Take heed of their advice. And do not be afraid to make mistakes. Practice the habits of a loving human being. Respect your classmates. Be thoughtful of your parents and families. At the end of day, do not fail to ask yourself, “Have I been a compassionate human being today?” If you can answer that with a yes, then you are on your way to many more successes in the future.

Congratulations, fellow lasallians. These achievements will not be your last. To your parents and teachers, congratulations. God Bless and Animo Lasalle.



Comments

Popular Posts