The Volunteers


I am quite lucky considering that I have lots of volunteers working for free in my main health center. All of them are licensed nurses and are residents of Candoni. Three of them are deployed under the NARS program of the government, although one of them used to volunteer in the past in our main health center. Six of them are unpaid volunteers. I have a total of 9 volunteers so far. Plus, I have 2 casual nurses who are as young as the new volunteers. My staff therefore is a good mix of old and young. With this balance, it is a tough job how to ensure harmony between these seemingly two separate generations. Of course, being young as well, I know for a fact the enthusiasm and idealism of the youth. It is important therefore to tap this energy and pull them into doing the best that they can in their work in order for them to contribute significantly in our output as a team.

The old ones of course are the very source of experience and wisdom. They have been doing this kind of work even before I was born perhaps. Their experience guide the team in fulfilling our collective objectives. The youth would only introduce novel ideas and concepts and techniques from which the veterans can also learn and update themselves. I am enjoying this kind of mix among my subordinates in the office. It is nonetheless a tough job as well.

Good thing though that I have lots of volunteers for this year. In fact, so many others would still want to volunteer in our main health center. However, I also need to put a lid on the number of volunteers so that I can give enough opportunity for the present volunteers to really learn the job. Too much can also be disadvantageous, especially when managing them.

But I am really hands off to my present volunteers. They are among the most hardworking frontliners in my health team. That is why, we decided to bring them with us during our Interlocal Health Zone Anniversary in Campomanes, Sipalay this June 12. It used to be only the regular employees would attend such big events, but since last year, I decided to include the Job Orders (which means closing the Night emergency clinic for just a day). This year, the volunteers will be going as well.

In fact, the volunteers compose majority of the members of our "Tribe" which will be competing in the inter-LGU tribal dance contest during the ILHZ anniversary. They have been practicing hard after duty hours. I do hope we win.




Comments

Popular Posts