Spirit Fatigue

People can get tired. So far, I am getting tired. Not that I am no longer physically able. I am still young and I can do physical with anything. I believe that it is the spirit that is feeling the weight of stress. Yes, the spirit can be tired too. And when the spirit is tired, it is definitely almost incapable of doing anything. Lately, I have been feeling tired, "spiritually". I need a "spiritual" break, a vacation for the spirit. Something that can recharge me and refuel me for another long month ahead. There is so much to do, so little time, and so little support. I was fortunate enough to have spent a week here in Bacolod because of our training for management of TB in children. But it wasn't really a restful week. The module was not a simple walk in the park. We did have a few laughs but most of the time we had to think and think and discuss and debate and whine even and then think and think and do and practice what we have just discussed.

The following week will be another hectic week. We will be training the members of the Municipal Disaster Coordinating Council for the Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. The 3-day module which we prepared will be filled with a lot of workshop and actual planning, including a surprise simulation of a disaster. Everyone in the MDCC will be present, including the Acting Mayor himself. I did review the existing Disaster Plan of the municipality, including the organization of its MDCC, and I must admit, it was in need of updating and correcting.

The week after next week will be another hectic week. There are still many issues to consider here in my area of assignment and I am still hoping that they will grant the Magna Carta benefits to my staff. Unfortunately, I am not very optimistic about it.

Last time they were discussing the possibility of extending my term as Municipal health officer. I was trying to avoid the question because I did not want them to be dismayed. Because if they would ask me if I would want to be "absorbed" by the LGU as MHO, I would have said, "No".

So, what would make me stay?

No. 1: "Magna Carta now!" Not next year, not next month. It must be now. And if possible, 100% implementation. It is not because I am after for the money. I am after for my rights. It is my right as health worker to receive those benefits as mandated by law.

If they cannot give that, then I cannot assure them that I would stay. It is high time for the community to show their support for us rural health physicians. If they cannot do that, then it is the community who will suffer, not us. I do hope the community at large will value their doctors more than they do now.

No. 2: "Flexi-time privileges". Since the health center is working 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, and I am not a resident of Candoni, I do hope the municipality will be lenient with regards to my timing in and timing out. I have no house in Candoni and I still need to travel from Bacolod where I reside with my family. If it can be arranged, then I might consider continuing my work.

No. 3: "Continuance of Food Allowance". Since I am not a resident of Candoni, and I do not have a permanent house where I can live, sleep, cook and do laundry, I do hope the municipality will continue giving me my monthly food allowance on top of my salary.

No. 4: "Implementation of the User Fee Ordinance" I do hope they can pass the User Fee Ordinance.

No. 5: "Study Leave". Hey, I do need to update myself as well.

The list is short but I am not sure whether or not they are agreeable with it.

I am not really thinking much about this. For now, I am trying to gather my scattered spirit once more. I am in need of some spiritual break, really. Something to re-inspire me again, to push my falling idealism.


Comments

Popular Posts