My Most Aggressive LHB Encounter So Far


Yesterday morning was our scheduled Local Health Board meeting and it was the first LHB meeting convened by Acting Mayor Jimmy Tiaga. Mayor Celot is recuperating right now and is doing well in his recovery. The agenda was perhaps the most controversial topic ever: the Magna Carta of our health workers. The LHB was attended by our DOH representative Eleanor Manzano, SB Chairman for Health Dolores Tomol, SB Beton, Budget Officer, the Municipal Accountant, MPDO, BHWF President Mrs. Hernando, Nurse-1 Jill Saril and PHM Maja Japzon, along with Acting Mayor Jimmy Tiaga (Chairman) and me of course as Vice Chairman.

After discussing our scheduled training of our Municipal Disaster Coordinating Council and Rescue Team, we immediately raised the issue of Magna Carta. I presented my partial accomplishment report to the Mayor and SB Tomol and specified that so far, every objective was accomplished except for one: the full implementation of the Magna Carta for Public Health Workers. We gave the budget officer the time to explain why the promised Hazard pay was yet to be given out. She had lots of excuses and quite frankly I am already getting impatient about these excuses.

So, I asked the LHB therefore if the LGU can write a letter of explanation why the LGU is so far not yet fully implementing the Magna Carta benefits so that I can attach the letter of explanation in my report to the Central Office in Manila. My point was, the LGU must justify its continued "violation" of the law. I pointed out the many violations of the law, for example, the continuous hiring of casual employees and even the recent increase in RATA of department heads. These actions show that there is enough funds in the LGU and therefore the LGU can afford to pay its health workers the expected Magna Carta benefits.

When I was asked to speak in behalf of the health workers, I pointed out to them that our Main Health Center is perhaps one of the few centers which are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays to cater to emergencies encountered after office hours. And yet the night shift is being run by volunteers and job orders. What happens if all of a sudden these Job Orders would not report to work because of their dismay due to lack of compensation? People in Candoni who are used to the nocturnal service will definitely have a hard time, especially those who will have emergencies. I told the group, "What if be sa inyo pamilya ma-abtan kamo emergency kag wala sang may ma-atipan sa inyo kay wala na sang gusto mag-obra sa Night Emergency Clinic kay indi nyo gusto paghatag ang naga-ka-igo nga benepisyo para sa ila? Ano ayhan ang batyagon ninyo?"

While I understand that our municipality is one of the poorest and therefore has limited funds, my point is it is all about prioritization. The LGU must learn how to prioritize. I posed these questions to the members of the LHB, "How much will your community pay for the cost of delivering health care?" How willing is your community to support your own health care delivery?"

"If you only give us this little, then expect that we will deliver only this much. But if you give us more, then we will deliver more. You reap what you sow," I told the members of the LHB.

I showed to them the many achievements the Municipal Health Office has accomplished despite the limited funds. We were able to reduce maternal mortality to zero, increase our FIC coverage to almost 100%, even have our facility accredited for Newborn Screening and has now increased our NBS coverage to almost 50%, and last year, we received a very satisfactory rating from the Regional Office during the monitoring and evaluation of the various Local health boards.

"It is time that your community must learn to appreciate more your health workers," I told them. "I have seen your health workers work and they are putting their health and families second only to their job as health care providers. But, instead of rewarding them, we are not giving what is due to them."

My sentiments were echoed by our DOH representative and the BHWF president. SB Beton even mentioned that it is high time for the LGU to look into how it manages internally its budget. Before the LHB was ended, we were able to get some assurance from the Budget that they might be able to give at least 5% of the Hazard pay to the health workers by July. If she won't give this promise, I personally will make sure that the LGU must write the letter of explanation and I will be sending it to central office for appropriate action. Of course, legal action is still an option and I might even seek legal advice on how to get the Hazard pay for my health care workers.

I echoed the meeting with my staff and I told them we should continue keeping vigilant. I myself will make sure that they will get what they deserve, both my health care workers and those who oppose their rights.


Comments

Popular Posts