That's More Like It

I received news this morning from my Public Health Manager that two of my Night Emergency Clinic staff have been appointed as one of the casual/regular employees for the year. I was told that Manang Lyne was already preparing her appointment papers since this morning. According to my PHM, she was approached last sunday by Nong Ferdinand, adviser to the Mayor on Barangay Affairs, and was told that she was recommended to be one of those "promoted" to casual status. Manang Lyne is one of my Job Order midwives. The second personnel to fill in the other spot has yet to be identified but most probably it would go to one of my nurses, Janet.

I am thankful that at least they were able to squeeze in two of my personnel into the short list of job orders eligible for promotion to casual status. In fact, last week while I was in Iloilo attending the 50th anniversary of the CHD-6, I sent a text message to Mayor Borromeo and to SB Dolores Tomol, chairperson for the committee on health. The text message conveyed my disappointment because not a single of my NEC staff was promoted to casual employee. I was bold enough to tell them both that should there be no remedy for this, my recommendation was to close down the Night Emergency Clinic. If they would refuse to close the Night Emergency Clinic, I would invoke my Magna Carta rights and insist on my 8-hour-per-day working hours. Which means, I would not be answering OPDs and other medical calls after office hours.

I am not sure whether the move to promote two of my staff was due to my text message but nonetheless I am happy that at least some of my NEC staff are now casual employees. This means, higher pay and more benefits.

I am happy that they are getting what they truly deserve. It is really frustrating to see these rural health workers working their asses off and yet would only receive a very small compensation. And to think there are more than 20 programs that they have to implement and monitor. The problem with devolution is, what devolved was just the system, but the money remained in Imperial Manila.

But the money may not entirely be an obstacle. We have proven that in Candoni. Despite the limitation in funds, we were able to improve our health indicators. Despite the limitation in financial support, we were able to implement the more critical programs of the Department of Health and were able to translate them into measurale and tangible programs which the community can relate with at the grassroots.

I still have to make sure that the 2 NEC staff are really in line for promotion. Until I have seen their names and their appointment papers duly signed by the Mayor, I am still cautious about all of this. Indi dapat kita tam-an ka kompyensa.





Post Classified Ads That Produce Results

Comments

Popular Posts