Mixed Emotions

I went to work this week in Candoni only to have myself immersed in a mixed bag of emotions. There have been a lot of good news and bad news. Let's start with the good news.

GOOD NEWS: As of March 17, 2009, Candoni Rural Health Unit is now PHILHEALTH Accredited! For the first time in the history of Candoni, the Main health Center's Outpatient Benefit Package and TB DOTS center are now PHILHEALTH Accredited. Our Maternity Care Package is yet to be accredited because I still have to apply for Philhealth accreditation as a physician. Our target is by April. Besides, Philhealth representatives would still need to conduct a site visit prior to the accreditation of the MCP component. So, we are now 2 out of 3. Hopefully by the end of the first half of the year, we are now accredited in all 3 components.

ANOTHER "GOOD" NEWS: I was informed by my Midwife NBS coordinator that the first batch of results have already arrived, so we decided to pick it up at LBC Kabankalan. According to the results, 2 of our patients were G6PD positive. This still requires confirmatory tests but we still need to inform the mothers first. This morning, during my visit to Brgy. Banga, I was able to talk to the mother of one of the G6PD positive babies and informed her of the result and advised her on the next steps that we will be undertaking. My midwife of course told me initially that it was bad news because we have G6PD positive patients. But I told her, it ain't entirely bad news. In fact, it is good news. At least, we were able to detect G6PD in our patients and therefore prevent complications for these patients.

BAD NEWS: I was informed this morning that none of my existing Job Order nurses were included in the list of appointments for regular casual employees. Despite our persistent lobbying with the Mayor's Office since last year, and despite assurances that we would be given a slot, none of the job orders were "promoted". This frustrates me because I was hopeful that the people "upstairs" can get to appreciate the work of these job order midwives and nurses and therefore "reward" them of an increase in pay and benefits. Instead, those who were appointed were people "close" to the people "upstairs".

It is really disappointing to see these hardworking rural health workers go unappreciated and by-passed. I sympathize with them, having been exposed to the hazards of their work and the loneliness that comes along with it. The next few lines must be said in Hiligaynon:

"Kailinit lang gid ya. Ginapaminsar lang nila ang ila kaugalingon. Kagina ko man lang gani na bal-an nga paubos naman ang amon budget sa fuel kag travel. In the first place, kulang ang budget nga ila gin approve. Tapos, free pa nga daan ang use sang ambulance. Ubus yah ang amon kwarta. Haay...tapos mahambal pa sa ibabaw nga pirmi lang kuno ga travel and mga health workers. Teh, sa dason gani nga seminar kag meeting parti sa isa ka health program, sila naman ma kadto kag sila naman ma implement! Bwisit."


Excuse my french.

But what should a mature person do? Sulk and cry? That is not productive. Always think win-win. So, I can't wait for the next Local health board meeting because I have a lot of things in my agenda. I have a lot of programs to propose and hopefully the Mayor will also get to appreciate these programs.







Post Classified Ads That Produce Results

Comments

Popular Posts