This Week's Activities


Monday:
It was an opportunity to follow up our Newborn Screening Program application at the Provincial Health Office. We already submitted our Letter of Intent last 2 months ago at the Regional Office but still no word from the Regional NBS Coordinator. So, while at the PHO I was advised to go straight to the Newborn Screening Program Center at West Visayas State University Medical Center in Iloilo City. I asked for new forms and filled them up again. I then called up Candoni to arrange a Purchase Order for at least 25 NBS kits, amounting to about 13000 pesos plus. I was planning to go to Iloilo the Friday of the week to submit the papers, including the Purchase Order, hoping I could already bring some NBS filter cards to Candoni next week.

I decided to go back to Candoni the following day so my wife and I went to USLS Coliseum that evening to watch the opening of the College Sportsfest. It was historic in a sense that it was the first time that the Opening Ceremonies were held in the evening. The Coliseum was filled to the brim and there were hundreds more waiting outside the campus. We almost did not get in.

It was the College of Nursing which won the Cheering Championship for this year, followed by the College of Arts and Sciences (who were actually hoping to make a grandslam win) and then by the College of Engineering.

Tuesday:
I took the first trip back to Candoni and arrived in my RHU at exactly 8 in the a.m., just in time for our scheduled annual PIR. It took us the entire day for our annual PIR. It wasn't just simple reporting. There was analysis involved, trying to figure out ways on how to further improve our weak points. I was happy to note that our Fully Immunized Children Coverage for 2008 has increased, from around 85% in 2007 to 101% this 2008! We also decreased our maternal mortality rate to zero and have increased our facility-based deliveries to around 75%, from around less than 20% in 2007. It was a big improvement for Candoni, although we still have more problems to solve. Our Infant Mortality rate is still high, our TB case detection rate is still below the target and although there have been changes in our mortality and morbidity rate, our incidence of diarrhea is still high, considering the fact that there is still no potable water system in Candoni.

Based on the given performance that we had in 2008, the staff has identified strategies on how to improve further this 2009 and sustain the gains we had. Of course, my marching orders for my public health manager is to facilitate the speedy approval of our application for PHILHEALTH 3-in-1 accreditation. At the same time, we have scheduled a community dialogue with mothers and fathers in identified problematic areas advocating for prompt consultation of their children and regular immunization. Through the Community Health Allies and Reform Team, I have decided to establish advocacy programs for patients who have Cardiovascular Diseases and Cancer Patients, especially females who have high risks for developing breast cancer. I was planning to name my advocacy for CV Diseases as Sweet Hearts Society, focusing on Diabetes and Hypertension Complication Prevention. As for my advocacy for breast cancer, I am planning to name it Breast Friends Society and am planning to tie up with Kadughan Organization in CLMMRH.

Wednesday:
The morning was spent for my regular barangay visits. I went to Barangay Haba along with the Immunization Team. I conducted consultations for patients who could no longer proceed to the Main Health Center because of the distance.

The afternoon was spent for the annual OPD and Observation Ward Census report. Majority of our OPD cases are still infectious diseases, particularly respiratory and gastrointestinal. So far, we only have 4 reported cases of Dengue for this year, although I still have to consolidate this report with the NOCHESS data.

For our Observation Ward data, most of our patients admitted at the OW are post-partum patients. We had around 200 plus normal deliveries in our main health center. We are planning to have the facility accredited for Maternity Care Package by PHILHEALTH.

After the reporting, I gave a lecture on Cardiovascular Diseases and Asthma in preparation for the lectures on February's Heart Month. I then reminded the Night Emergency Clinic staff about their role and participation during the launching of the Heart Month this 5th of February.

Thursday:
I took the first trip to Bacolod to attend the monthly consultative meeting at the Provincial Health Office. The agenda was about PHILHEALTH and Cancer Awareness. My former boss at CLMMRH Dep't of I.M., Dr. Guancia, was the invited resource speaker regarding updates on Cancer in Negros. It was really a good thing since now I have data to support my advocacy for Breast Friends Society.

The Philhealth discussion was lengthy and I was happy to note that for Candoni, we have enrolled more than a thousand indigents, more than the target. The previous year, the LGU's enrollment of indigents was zero.

Friday:
I took the first trip to Iloilo this morning bringing my papers to be submitted for application for NBS implementation. Thanks to Doc Ken, I was able to find WVSU Medical Center Newborn Screening Building quite easily.

I was able to meet up with my old friend and talked about her reasons why she made her choice.

I went back to Bacolod at around lunch time.




Comments

Popular Posts