One Year As Doctor to the Barrio


On November 4, I will be turning one year as a doctor to the barrio. Exactly a year ago, I was in CLMMRH covering for my former senior residents at the Dep't of I.M. while they were away on a strategic planning meeting. I was with Doc Tomampos, a former junior consultant during my post graduate internship in Our Lady of Mercy Specialty Hospital. Tomorrow, I will be celebrating my first year as a doctor to the barrio. As I mark this new cornerstone in my young life, I have decided to post a graph of what I call my "Desirability for LGU Absorption" Graph. This graph actually depicts the probability of me, if given the offer, accepting the proposal of being absorbed as a Municipal Health Officer of my area of assignment after my two-year contract expires next year. According to our Memorandum of Agreement, a Doctor to the barrio must render at least for two years, after which, the LGU has the option to offer to the DTTB the opportunity of being absorbed as the municipality's health officer. Once absorbed, the salary and other benefits of the DTTB will now be paid for by the LGU. A DTTB can opt to accept or not accept the offer. A DTTB can either continue working as a DTTB but will be reassigned in a new area, enter the Medical Pool of the Department of Health or start anew, whether proceed to specialty training or start his or her own private practice, or even go into nursing.

Based on the updates given by the Department of Health, not more than 20% of the graduating Doctors to the Barrios since the time of its foundation decided to be absorbed in their areas of assignment. Many have opted to become a DTTB in order to spend the next 2 years contemplating for what specialty to take. For more practical reasons, the money they could save could be spent for the next 3 or 4 years taking up residency.

Others have opted not to be absorbed despite the offer of the Local government units because 1) of the low compensation, 2) political environment and 3) distance from home and family. These are the main reasons although there could be other reasons as well.

In my case, I am considering a lot of factors. A year from now, perhaps the offer of being absorbed will be there, or maybe not. Either way, I am weighing things carefully. This can be crucial in a sense that whatever level of desire I wish to be absorbed in Candoni, Negros Occidental will affect my plans for the Municipal Health office and the community at large. If I feel that I am willing to accept the offer if offered, I could now lay out my plans that would extend beyond my 2-year term. If I feel that I would not accept the offer of being absorbed, my plans would only be limited to the next 12 months.

The factors that I am considering are: 1) LGU support, as reflected on its ability to provide reasonable compensation, including appropriate a budget that would enable me to work as a Municipal Health Officer. 2) Political climate, considering that by 2010, the national and local elections will take place. 3) Family issues, as reflected by the concerns at home and whether or not working far away can benefit the family more than working in a much closer environment. 4) Professional growth, as reflected on the various opportunities offered by the LGU for me to grow as a doctor. 5) Social acceptability, as reflected by the reception of the staff and the community in my presence.

For each factor I pegged a grade of 2. The highest score therefore is 10. The higher the score, the higher the desire to be absorbed in the LGU.

So, I will try to update this Graph daily, if not weekly. Any changes in the graph can be explained in the blog entries for the day. Somehow, it will also help me decide later on when that time comes.


Comments

Popular Posts