Candoni's Best Cited

During the last South Negros Interlocal Heath Zone Technical Management Committee meeting in Kabankalan District Hospital, the TMC, of which I am a member due to my position as MHO of Candoni RHU, has decided to launch a search for outstanding Barangay Midwife, Public Health Nurse, Doctor and LGU in the interlocal health zone when it comes to Health. My DOH Representative, Mrs. Manzano, informed the committee that even before this proposal was conceptualized, Candoni's RHU has already started its own. I was given the floor to introduce my brain child, Candoni's Best: The search for most outstanding Barangay Health Station, Barangay Midwife, Barangay Health Worker and Barangay Council. Mrs. Manzano produced a copy of the rationale of the project which I wrote and the Assessment Score Sheet which bears the basis of judging our nominees. The concept of Candoni's Best was lauded by all those present, including Dr. Ayala, CHO of Kabankalan and Dra. Abella, MHO of Hinobaan. The title itself, Candoni's Best, according to the Chief of Hospital of KDH, was already "catchy". Every one wanted a copy of the Rationale and Assessment Sheet. The move was to replicate "candoni's best" in other LGUs in preparation for the SNILHZ search for outstanding health staff. Which means, Candoni's Bests will compete against Sipalay's Bests, Hinoba-an's Bests, Cauayan's Bests, Ilog's Bests, and Kabankalan's Bests.

I was doubtful at first when I proposed the Candoni's Best to my midwives and eventually to the Mayor. But the Mayor was supportive about it and he immediately approved my proposal. Now, every one in the Zone will be doing relatively the same thing. I never thought that my simple contribution to the community I serve has brimmed over neighboring towns and cities. It was my first TMC meeting and modesty aside, I have left an impression not for my own benefit but for the benefit of Candoni. It is placed on record that the entire endeavor began with Candoni taking the lead.

It is moments like this that help push me to continue what I feel is beneficial to the community I serve. It can be frustrating at times but I do not let the frustration distract me from my goal. Frustrations are everywhere. It doesn't matter how big they are, but how one can become bigger than these frustrations. It is a lonely job being a doctor to the barrio. Sometimes, people don't appreciate this kind of job. But perhaps I am only referring to the urbanites. For the folks in the boondocks, a doctor in the area is a big deal, a prized gem, a treasure worth keeping. One barangay kagawad once told me that since the day Candoni had a doctor, the people were less fearful for their health. They are more confident now considering that they need not go the distance from Candoni to Kabankalan just to seek consultation for what would later be a relatively benign condition.

It is not always frustrating though. There are times that I feel inspired. I feel driven to serve. My only wish is that I can sustain this drive to endure the hazard of the job.

But for now, I am in heaven and I am thankful.










Comments

Popular Posts