Ask Not What Candoni Can Do For You, But What You Can Do for Candoni

That is not a tongue twister. But I had to make a JFK speech last Staff Meeting because my job orders are getting frustrated. It seems that after endless lobbying with the people upstairs, out of the 13 job orders I recommended to be promoted to casual employees, the RHU was given only 1 slot out of 15 available slots. And to make matters worse, the LGU has decided to slash the number of job order employees of the municipality, down to only 21 job orders. This whole chaos started when I was out of the office last week, when I attended our regular meeting at Iloilo and our TMC meeting in Kabankalan. It was decided that due to constrained funds, the LGU had no choice but to streamline its employees, particularly the casuals and job orders. I received a text from one of my J.O.'s informing me that only 1 slot was given for RHU and that there was even a possibility of some JO's being slashed. So, instead of going to Nava, Brgy. Agboy last Tuesday (one of the most far flung barangays of Candoni), I stayed in the office, had a brief caucus with SB Tomol and Mrs. Malunes my Nurse-II, before we went to the Mayor's Office to appeal to the Mayor himself.

During our meeting with the Mayor, he couldn't help but vent out his own feelings and frustrations. He wanted to have more casuals to be employed, but the budget would only permit 15 casuals. Some JOs also were needed to be slashed, especially those whose positions are already redundant. I asked nothing from the Mayor except his assurance that the medical staff enjoy some sense of stability. The Mayor was quick to tell me that he has ever since pledged to make Health as his number one priority, and he assured me that no JO from the RHU would be slashed. While this is some good news, it is not entirely a happy news.

The JO's have been doing an excellent job running the night emergency clinic and our observation ward, a few of them have been serving the municipality for 10 years. Still, their rate is 130 pesos a day with no other benefits. The JOs were expecting that at least for the year 2008, with the coming of the Infirmary sometime mid-year, at least most of them would be promoted to casuals (which would mean a higher pay) or at least have their JO allowance increased.

During the staff meeting last Wednesday, I had to tell them that it is a long shot to have another one of them promoted to casual. The existing budget provided for the JOs is only good until June. If I try to stretch it further, by doing shifting duties, the budget can last until August. I am now personally banking on the upcoming supplemental budget. In this case, I have SB Tomol to help me lobby for a huge budget to be given to health.

I had to listen to the valid gripes of my JOs who were telling me their heartaches with almost teary eyes. I had no choice but to empathize. I told them that I was giving out a genuine appeal for their loyalty and a high sense of patriotism. If they can only stretch out their patience a little longer, I am sure that there are blessings that will come along the way.

Of course, some old midwives who are regular employees would tell the group that during their time they even had to work as volunteers for at least 5 years - 5 years without pay! - before they could enjoy the salary of a regular employee. Of course JOs started comparing about their work and that they would rather work in daytime instead of night if that was the case.

It was then that I started telling them my own story, when I had to endure 4 pride-swallowing years of receiving no pay while supporting a family. I told them that if I was solely thinking of what I can only gain, then I would not have become a DTTB. Instead, I would have started my training, be a private practioner later, and start earning bigger bucks. I asked them that while thinking of what to give to our families maybe valid, but it should not be our only motivation. "Think about the lives of people who may not have been saved if you will abandon your posts here in Candoni," I told them. I asked them to start thinking less about themselves and more about others, especially their patients. The law of Karma will protect us and will never forget us in the future.

Later, I was told by one of my JO nurses that the JOs were planning to abandon their posts but because of what I told them during the meeting, "nakonsyensia kami, doc." I had to thank them for their heroism and altruism. I assured them that I will not give up the fight especially during the deliberation and proposals of the budget for the upcoming Infirmary, supplemental budget and later the annual budget for 2009.

It is hard to run an RHU, to manage a people whose day-to-day lives depend solely on the decision of others, especially mine. It is a tough job but I thank the Lord for giving us the spirit of generosity, especially my unsung heroes, my new idols. I am and will always be a big fan of a rural health worker.










Comments

Popular Posts