My First Month In Candoni

During my first month in Candoni as DTTB, I have learned a lot about myself, my work and my surroundings. One of the many lessons learned is that, "Yes, kaya ko man gali". Life is tough in the "barrio" and while it may be slow paced, it is never boring, especially the moments I had encountering patients either in the field or in our dispensary. Life is tough in the barrio. I am constantly surrounded by reminders of poverty. There is this parent whose child was suffering from third degree malnutrition, who suddenly had acute diarrhea and was severely dehydrated. We had to refer them to the hospital for aggresive management, but the parents were so poor they have been growing hungry for days. Obviously, they refused the referral. A few days later, I learned that the child died. She was two years old. The mother was only 18 years old, and is at the moment pregnant with her second child.

And then there was this 80-year-old lady who was almost blind and was living alone in her own nipa hut. She sought consultation in our dispensary, walking a good 4 kilometer distance...alone. When asked about her chief complaint (reason for consultation), she said, "I am having these leg pains".

All of her children left her. She told us she could barely live with her daughters-in-law. She said, they would kick her around the house and say nasty stories about her. When asked how she would prepare her food to eat, she told us that one of her children who has no kids of his own would leave her with something to eat for the day. Her left eye was already blind. Her right eye was having some sort of infection and probably would be going blind as well. But she had a humorous disposition towards life. She made us laugh that day at the dispensary with her punchlines and funny anecdotes.

There are some patients that can really test your patience. There are some patients who are nonetheless appreciative of the work you do. There was one patient whom I admitted at the Observation Ward. She was having diarrhea, abdominal pains and was slightly dehydrated. After 24 hours of hydration and initial dosages of medications, she was feeling better. Before she left, she approached me and wanted to give me money as her "Christmas gift". Immediately I refused and told her that I was grateful but I could not accept it. She was hurt at first. All she wanted was to thank her doctor "nga nagkabalaka guid sa akon". I told her that to see her walking out well and fine with her money saved was enough gratification for me. She left her money in our donation box instead.

The appreciation of my patients of my work provides me the fulfillment that no money can buy. Everytime I would return from a field visitation, I would bring with me bunches of bananas and other agricultural products.

Now that a new year has begun, I am beginning to put into action some of my plans for Candoni, of course, after having consulted my staff and the sentiments of the people in general. Hopefully, I shall be able to leave a legacy after my 2 years in Candoni.












Comments

Popular Posts