Big Dreams Are Made of These

The year 2008 is barely a dozen days old. Life in Candoni is beginning to become a little fast paced. As promised, reforms in the Rural Health Unit are being introduced slowly and steadily. I already submitted my accomplishment report for the month of December to the Regional Office last week. I left a copy at the Provincial Health Office and also gave one to my Local Chief Executive. In a nutshell, what has been done in December was mostly troubleshooting the existing problems and challenges of the RHU.

A brief description of my RHU: My RHU is currently "squatting" at the Rescue Unit Center of the Municipality. The original RHU is under renovation. My mayor is putting up an infirmary so the old RHU is being renovated now. The Rescue Center is quite small compared to the original RHU but it can provide office space for me, my Nurse-2, my RSI, my Midwife microscopist, a 4 bed observation ward, a trauma center, a small labor room and delivery room, a small lab and washing area for my TB-DOTS, an OPD reception area, a doctor's quarters, a computer station and enough space for conferences and meetings.

Innovations were introduced, such as the establishment of a computerized database for ITRs and other records, especially FHSIS reports and other monitoring reports. A new ITR form was introduced. New policies were also introduced such as consultation time, policies on the use of the ambulance and admission policies in the Observation Ward.

During the start of the year, I interviewed 6 nurses who wanted to volunteer as part of the medical staff. Now, my Night Emergency Clinic is manned by at least 2 midwives, 1 nurse and 1 utility personnel. Some equipments were purchased before the year 2007 ended, including a glucometer for CBG. Now, patients can get to have their Blood GLucose monitored. During my first Flag Ceremony for the year, I informed the staff and employees of the Municipal Office about this new purchase.

For January, I am looking forward to a lot of meetings. Big plans are being stored for this year, including our application for PHILHEALTH accreditation for our Outpatient Benefit Package, out PHILCAT for TB-DOTS and our Maternity Package. Of course, the infirmary is in the works.

This morning I attended my first Interlocal Health Zone Meeting. I was formally introduced as the new Municipal Health Officer of Candoni. The Meeting was attended by LCEs of other municipalities and cities, including my Mayor. Of course, during lunch time, my Mayor and I were sharing our plans for Candoni's RHU.

Yesterday, I called for a meeting with all my Barangay Midwives for our year-end assessment of their FHSIS reports. Data reconciliation and validation was made. The reports should have been submitted to the PHO by today but I told Dra. Efren this morning that I will be sending ours next week.

Next week are more meetings: staff meeting, meeting at the PHO, and probably our Local Health Board and meeting with barangay captains. I have already launched out Candoni's Best: search for outstanding barangay health station, barangay midwife, barangay health worker and barangay council for 2008. The Mayor has already approved my proposal.

2008 is hopefully a big year for all Candonians. Hopefully, our big dreams for this small place in the navel of Tablas Valley will come to their existence, God Willing.

Happy New Year everyone!










Comments

Popular Posts