Reunion Season

What is nice about Christmas is it gives an opportunity for old friends to come together and reminisce about the past and share about the present. I usually don't come to high school reunions and it is not usually deliberate. When I started med school, life has been rigid especially in the most recent 2 years of my med life that I could not muster the strength to come to a nocturnal reunion. I am a daywalker and a night-sleeper during med-days. That is if I am not On Duty, which in that case, I transform into a night crawler. Whether I am a vampire by night or a high-breed Lycan by day, the fact remains that time is precious for a med student/intern/resident, especially the time for sleep. But lately life is beginning to slow down a bit, giving me enough time to catch up for the lost opportunities. Last night I attended my high school's reunion at Mu Shu, a fine dining restaurant along Lacson Street. Not everyone in the batch can attend obviously. But a large number of old friends did come. It was indeed a refreshing sight to see friends who are actually more than just friends: they are almost like my siblings. We are family, so the song goes.

Of course, we matured a bit. Okay, we matured a lot. But the sense of humor was intact. The ability to recall high school memories was still sharp. And of course, the appetite for gossip was still insatiable.

It is funny to note that while most of my batchmates are already stable when it comes to their careers, I am still embarking on my journey as a a professional. I have yet to set my sail while most of my batchmates are already out at sea, reaching distances beyond measure. For example, I just heared that Mark Martinez is now working in Mainland China for Hitachi. Rommel Abaja of course is in Ireland with his wife working as accountants. Best friend Renalyn Navarez is somewhere in the deserts of the Middle East.

Others are now in Singapore, Alaska, U.S.A. and elsewhere. In the Philippines, a large group of my batchmates are working in Manila and Cebu. Most of them are department heads. So far, the batch has produced nurses, accountants, engineers, doctors, businessmen, teachers, artists and architects. Our upcoming lawyers are still waiting for the results of the bar.

Next year is our tenth year as alumni of USLS-IS. The original plan is to make it a big celebration. So far, no concrete plans have been laid on the table. I look forward to this event.

It is during this time of the year when one indeed is confronted with his Christmas Past through reunions, at the same time allowed to reflect on his Christmas Present and later given an opportunity to look ahead on his Christmas Future.

I am only thankful that I am not too preoccupied to forget that I have this gift of time to do all of these.

Merry Christmas to the entire world.










Comments

Popular Posts