My Second Week In Candoni

Life is slow in Candoni but the people are warmer than sunshine. I am beginning to memorize the name of my staff. So far, I have been close to all of them. Perhaps they have noticed my own leadership style in the office. During the last staff meeting, I told them that I am not the looking-over-the-shoulder type of boss. I am more results-oriented. If a staff performs well, then the results of her job will show it. So far, I have been studying my health indicators. I am planning to improve on them in my first year as DTTB in Candoni. As of Wednesday, I have already visited 3 barangays: Payawan, Haba and Gatuslao. Gatuslao is the farthest of the three. Of course, I always bring home plastics and plastics of bananas. I was promised by the midwife that in my next visit I will be served with wild boar's and deer's meat. Hmmmm.... I am fine with that just as long as it is not a spotted-deer's meat.

So far I have already introduced a new format in the ITR (individual treatment record) and my encoder and I have started encoding them in our database. We will be publishing weekly our OPD census starting next week. I have also organized our temporary infirmary. As of now, it can occupy only 4 beds: 1 bed for maternity, 1 bed for emergency purposes and 2 others for whatever admission there is. Once the infirmary is done with its renovations, we will be transfering everything there. I was told that there will be a pharmacy in the 16-bed capacity infirmary. Hopefully, we can put up a laboratory by the time I end my DTTB contract.

I have so much plans for Candoni's RHU. One of which is establishing the Candoni Disease Monitoring Systems. Another is applying for Philhealth Accreditation especially for our TB-DOTS program. There is really so much to do in Candoni and my mind is just bursting with ideas.

The inherent problems in Candoni is that it is just too damn far from the nearest tertiary hospital. In our inter-local health zone, Kabankalan District Hospital is ur primary point of referral. Which means, all cases that require tertiary care are referred to KDH. But it is an hour away from Candoni, separated by rough roads.

Another inherent problem is that there is not enough pharmacy in Candoni. Drugstores are hard to find and with only limited supplies of free medicines, Patients had to go to Kabankalan City just to buy most of the meds.

To address these problems, one of my priority projects is to establish the Botika ng Barangay, especially in far-flung barangays. BnB can provide for meds, especially over-the-counter meds that are needed by the common folk. It can also be a source of small income for the Barangay.

With a supportive LGU and hardworking team of midwives, I believe Candoni can DOH it. Hehehee

Yesterday I attended the meeting of CHOs and MHOs in the PHO. I was welcomed in the family of CHOs and MHOs with no less than my former professor and PHO Dra. Efren. It was a nice feeling to be among with doctors who were once your teachers and now your equals.

I will be heading back to Candoni this Monday just in time for our bloodletting activity. Christmas parties are booked in my calendar already.

To my DTTB batchmates: Kelan yung sweldo? Kasama ba tayo sa performance bonus in GMA? Hehehee










Comments

Popular Posts