The Pre-Deployment Jitters


Unless something comes up, December 3 will be my day of deployment to Candoni, Negros Occidental. I am currently blogging from Iloilo City, attending another 2-week briefing in the Center for Health Development Office in Region 6, which is in Mandurriao, Iloilo. This briefing will consist of more specific details regarding projects and programs of the Department of Health, particularly the thrusts and direction of Western Visayas in this aspect. They are boring, but very very very important. For example, I just got information that Candoni Main Health Facility has yet to be certified in the DOTS program and cannot therefore be accredited by PHILHEALTH. It is a challenge therefore in my part to leave my municipal health office after two years as a DTTB as a certified DOTS center and PHIC accredited. I already secured a list of requirements and necessities to accomplish.

In fact, long before this briefing in the regional level, it was already a personal agenda to make the Candoni Health Center a DOTS certified and PHIC accredited. By being DOTS accredited and PHIC accredited, the center can enjoy benefits which can be used to further develop the establishment.

During the morning staff meeting today, the three of us: Me, Celna and Tepoy, were introduced before the entire staff of the CHD-Region 6 by the Regional Director herself. After lunch, we made a courtesy call in her office where she challenged us to do more than expected. In fact, she wanted us to participate more in the formulation of policies regarding health in our respective interlocal health zones. She wanted us to be members of the Technical Work Group, to attend meetings of the ILHZ and to come to Iloilo at least once a month to attend the Monday Morning Staff meetings. Of course, travel expenses will be shouldered by the CHD office.

The task before us is overwhelming. I feel the pressure of the work, especially the pressure of being able to perform and effect change, especially in my area of assignment. Candoni in the past is known for incidents of armed conflicts between the Army and the Communist rebels. It was almost declared a no-man's land in the past. But history is changing and the people in the area are more inclined towards the establishment of a long-lasting peace.

I am hoping that this desire for peace will be channeled in favor of health. Peace For Health!

I am also feeling the burden of leaving my family in Bacolod. Last night, I told my son that I would be leaving again the next day for Iloilo. He asked me why and I told him that I had to work so that I could have money to buy him toys. He hugged me afterwards and told me that "Love taka bala, Daddy" and he cried. I hugged him tightly and I was trying to stop my own tears from falling.

I am certain that my "batchmates" in the program are also experiencing the same "separation anxiety" as of the moment.

With the salary that we will be enjoying, I feel that it is not enough to pay for the loneliness and sense of longing for family and comfort. But despite that, at least 15 of us wanted to pursue this career path. If it was for the money I would rather work as a resident. I enjoy a relatively ample compensation albeit smaller than the compensation I would be receiving from DTTB, but at least I go home to my family at the most 4 days in a week, compared to only twice a week or even twice a month in DTTB.

I believe that although the compensation was the first thing that attracted most of us, it wasn't the only reason. Deep inside there is that "pull", that mysterious force that has drawn us towards this job.

I hope that the small amount of time I will spend in Candoni will be enough time for me to make a difference in a world full of skepticism and already wanting for principles and people to stand up for them. I may not be perfect and perhaps I may not be ready now, but I will try. At the end, I shall have my conscience, my God and the people that I will serve who will judge me according to the merits I make.










Comments

Popular Posts