Historic Blog

I am writing this blog from the confines of the conference room of the CLMMRH Department of Medicine. I am currently doing cover duty for my senior residents and previous-and-still-up-to-the-present mentors in the Internal Medicine Department. They are having their planning somewhere and they needed help manning the E.R. and the wards while they are away. It was a weird feeling going back at CLMMRH doing E.R. duty. I missed the golden days of Junior Internship. I was happy to see my batchmates also, Mary Ann, Gesper and Mackoy. I am proud to see them doing good in their residency training. I had to admit that I was feeling nostalgic the entire time during my "toxicities" at the E.R.

Doc Bacinillo returned at around 11 pm so I went to the wards, checked whatever patient was needing some referral and went up to the conference room with Doc Tomampos, one of my bosses in BOLMSH who was also helping out doing cover duty. I had to admit: kahilidlaw gid.

Doc Tomampos decided to take a nap so I decided to blog from the conference room where I was officially baptized as a medical doctor. I was one of the first batch of junior interns to rotate in the Department that "s"cares. My group became the First of the Firsts. Doc Guancia dubbed my group as the "Cockroaches". He told us we don't want to be cockroaches...creatures who never evolved and remained as cockroaches while the rest of the animal kingdom already developed and progressed. The second group following us was named as the Slugs. As far as my memory goes, I think we are the only two groups that received the honor of being associated with these lowly creatures.

I still have the picture of myself signing for the last time in the I.M. logbook, during my final duty as a junior intern. For me, that is historic. It is a reminder of how I have survived the baptism of fire. If therefore a lowly cockroach like myself can survive the "cruelty" of the training, then anyone can. It only took a lot of patience and pride-swallowing moments.

There were days that were regretful and there were days that were benign. Looking back, I owe much of who I am now to these people who were once my mentors and still remain as such.

I want to sleep and I need to because I am leaving for Manila later today. But with all the adrenalin rush since this afternoon, I can't help but sit inside this conference room, and just reminisce, both the good times and the bad.







-->

Comments

Popular Posts