Rush Week

It has been two weeks since I wrote down on this blog. The last two weeks have been quite hectic not to mention memorable and historical. Last March 10, 2007, at 12:59 a.m., my wife gave birth to a 5-lb baby girl. We named her Robie Anne Sophia and she was only 36 weeks. We did had quite a few troubles with this one. She came out with a tight nuchal cord around her neck, had a relatively high white count with stabs in her CBC and we had to bring her home with a heplock on her arm. The next 5 days at home were spent giving her Ampicillin and Gentamycin IVTT. She had nonetheless good suck and was able to consume at least 1 oz of her milk formula almost every 2 hours. Now we just had her repeat CBC and showed a still relatively high white count but without the stabs and C-reactive protein was negative. I was told by the medtech though that the serum appeared kinda dark yellow. Robie Anne does look a little sallow but at least we are out of the heplock.

I was kinda worried about this one. She is our first and only girl. All the while we thought we were having a baby boy. In fact, "Manong" Rien was already excited to have a baby brother. But it turns out God surprised us all with a baby girl and it was truly a welcomed gift. My wife gave birth at the hospital where I was working and we were instant celebrities. During her labor, I spent most of the time not at her side. I was still at USLS-IS Balay Kalinungan conducting the pre-grad retreat of the last class for the week. Earlier that week, I was spending my evenings at the retreat house giving talks and conducting sessions for the pre-grad retreat of the Senior Class of the I.S. This year, it is my 9th year as facilitator for the pre-grad. I have always made it my personal "panata" or promise to continue facilitatitng the pre-grad retreat for as long as I am able. That Friday evening, after my talk on "Persons are gifts" I immediately went back to the hospital and spent the rest of the night by my wife's side at the labor room, supporting her throughout her relatively more painful labor compared to our eldest son.

Today, we had our CBC repeated (twice!) and CRP done and so far, the results are okay! I love my daughter and she will definitely turn out to be Daddy's girl. Of course, I love my Rien, my firstborn too. Now the difficult part begins: raising a daughter along with a son. Raising kids is a tough job and as a parent I can now empathize with other parents, especially my own, when it comes to raising a family.

Comments

Popular Posts