What Happened During The Last Days of 2006

Now that the internet connections are up and about, it is time to make a more decent post and for this 2007, let me tell you what happened to me during the last few days of 2006.

The last few days of 2006 were almost memorable. They were ordinary days but nevertheless, it was spent more than just ordinarily. On December 30, 2006, I was doing floater-duty for OB-GYNE. I was the last intern to do a floater's job for 2006 and hopefully the last intern to do such for the rest of BOLMSH's history of internship. Thankfully, it was a very benign night duty. I had one patient waiting at the labor room but it was a premature rupture of membrane (29 weeker) so we had to do tocolysis on her to prevent premature labor.

Most of my time therefore was spent at the On-call Room together with our in-house interns (whose quarters down at the basement are still recuperating from the flash floods last December 20) and the rest of the interns on duty. Those who were from Iloilo went home except for Kenneth who had to stay because she was to be on duty the next day. So together with Gesper, Ken, Joanne, Bel and Me (along with our adopted "Chief PGI" Darrel), we had our mini pre-New Year's Eve Party. Gesper brought all the snacks plus a bottle of gin. The party was spent scrambling over our food and of course posing for the camera a la telenovela pose.

The next day, I had to go home early because I was assigned to do all the cooking (as usual) for the media noche dinner. I attended the early 10:00 a.m. mass with my son, who offered up a box of sweets I bought the day earlier during the offertory. The rest of the afternoon was spent cooking the usual menu for New Year's Eve.

At around 8:00 p.m. all the family were in and after the light dinner we placed all our fireworks out in the balcony ready for the New Year countdown. By 12:00 midnight sharp, we were already out in the streets lighting our fireworks along with the rest of the neighborhood. During the New Year's Eve dinner, my son led the traditional prayer.

The next day was kind of a killjoy because I had to report to my new Department: I am no longer assigned to the Community but I am now a MEDICAL intern. Today is my 14th day as a medical intern. So far, everything's going fine. There are a few bumps along the way but hopefully by the end of the rotation I will turn out fine.

So, Happy New Year of the Pig People!

Comments

Popular Posts