The First (Shocking) Days of Internal Medicine

You can't do anything about it. Since J.I. days, the Department of Internal Medicine is always the most toxic department ever. Compared to other departments, the I.M. has the most number of daily admissions, the most frequent ward calls and the most number of morbi patients. During my first 24-hours duty, I had a total of 16 admissions, 3 of which were early morning admissions. How early? Way too early. And I was paired with a usually "benign" junior consultant whose usual quota is only 8-10 admissions.

My second duty was somewhat lessened quite a bit with only 10 admissions. And thankfully I was able to have a quick nap during that time as well. My third duty was also quite okay with this time a total of 8 admissions but the ward calls were unstoppable and I had to sleep with the phone literally as my pillow. The previous duty was a little toxic. I had 15 admissions. Thankfully though the ward calls were then a little less and we didn't have to do those scary CPRs or emergency ward calls.

Tomorrow I will be on my 5th duty and hopefully I shall have a much more benign duty. I was warned though that the J.C. I am paired with is historically toxic in admissions and ward calls so I am have to prepare myself for another sleepless night.

But I do enjoy my rounds with consultants during the morning. Somehow I feel like I am really learning something from them. I enjoy most my Monday rounds with Doc SobrepeƱa. Anyway, I am currently assigned at the ICU and in two other floors.

Tomorrow is another brand new day. I do hope I can get myself detoxified before then.

Comments

Popular Posts