The Mambucal Experience


I haven’t been to Mambucal Resort since the day it was renovated and managed by the Provincial Government. Therefore, when my maternal grandmother decided to celebrate her 85th birthday, the choice was to celebrate it at this pristine mountain resort. Lola Isabel Seterra biuda de Balinas turned 85 last November 12 and all of her children and grandchildren and her first great grand son were present, including close family friends. Mambucal Resort is one of the oldest tourist attractions in the province of Negros Occidental. In the past, many tourists, both local and even international, come to this mountaintop, dubbed by many as the “Left Foot” of Mt. Kanlaon. This active volcano has made this resort as beautiful and mysterious as it is expected.
All of Lola’s children were there: Tito Jose (who is now a resident of Cavite and the eldest), Tita Remedios, Tito Juanito (who is former head of traffic in Bacolod City) with wife Tita Gilda, Tita Melda with husband Tito Lorenzo, Tito Junior and my mother Loreta with husband Bayani. Except for Tito Jose’s children who are in Cavite studying, all of my cousins were there: Jun Anthony who works in Iloilo, Jaremie who is about to take the nursing boards this December, Julie-Ann and Mahal. Also present were my sister Loni and my wife Roann including our son Rien who had fun times with his great grandmother.
I spent most of the day in the dipping pool with my son. The warm springs mildly scented with Sulfur were a welcomed sensation for my body. I felt the stress from work being drained away. I would have wanted to take a swim at the huge pool a stone’s throw away but I would have preferred staying in the dipping pool. From the dipping pool one can already enjoy bat watching. About 7,000 flying foxes are inhabiting Mambucal and most of them can be seen hanging upside down from tall trees towering around the dipping pool area.
Later, my wife and I went to trek the 7 Falls Trail. We would have wanted to go up the 7th falls, which my cousins almost did (they were only up until the 6th Falls) but we didn’t have much time. Along the trail, our tour guide, Roy, told us so much things about the scenery. He pointed to us huge beehives hanging on gigantic trees like pots. He also pointed to us wild apple trees and told us that these wild apples are not edible but in fact poisonous, not even the bats would dare eat them. He showed us the hanging bridge and the huge pipe lines transporting the spring waters from its source.

At the end of the day, we went by the man-made lake where we could have done some boat riding. But we did promise to come back and enjoy the entire Mambucal Resort.

Comments

sheilamarie said…
lovely pictures u took. bloghopped from SALAS, and nice blog u have. are u taking up pediatrics? :) my mom was one too. good luck with the never ending learning and work of a doctor.
Bluesolstice said…
thanks for the bloghop. Not sure what to take yet but some friends wanted me to be a pediatrician. Thanks for the encouragement.

Popular Posts