The Adventures of a Masskara Tourist


I have been a Bacolodnon for 26 years but it was my very first time to witness the Masskara Festival from the vintage point of a tourist. During my childhood, my parents used to bring me to those Masskara Parades. We would line up the streets and watch, at times on my father's shoulders, the masked dancers pass us by. During my grown up days, I settled to watching the festivities on TV and would just roam around the city center only after the street dance competitions. The last time I lined up the streets was during my son's third birthday but we only caught up on the rear part of the parade. It was actually a last minute decision. However, this year, I decided that as a true blooded Bacolodnon I must experience what other tourists and avid locals experience: The Masskara Festival right at the plaza.

I planned the day quite in order: have lunch at the hospital where I work, then proceed to the Public Plaza in the afternoon where mini-stands were put up for watchers. Earlier during the day, I have already prepared my canteen of water and some chips. I have also brought along with me my dependable backpack and cellphone complete with ear plugs as an anti-noise protection. I was really well prepared.

1:30 pm. Walking from the back side of La Consolacion College, I was greeted with a huge crowd of people the moment I stepped into corner Rizal street leading into the plaza. The bleachers were already filled up and the remaining spaces were already reserved for tourists and guests from abroad. I tried haggling, er...negotiating, with the guards assigned around the perimeters but they woudn't let anyone pass unless they have I.D.'s. I went around at the back of the high bleachers trying to find a good spot where I can sit down and watch the main event at the Public Plaza. But it was so impossible to get in. The crowd inside the main area was already thick. And the crowds milling around the plaza was thicker. At the end, I decided to let go of Plan A and proceeded to Plan C. Plan B was out considering that Plan B was to pole vault myself into the main center and run away from the expected chasing guards and disappear into the settled crowd.

I found my way out of the plaza (which was turning out to be kinda messy from all the litters and trash left from perhaps last night's party)and situated myself right infront of Araneta street, beneath the giant sound blasters and the Welcome to Bacolod Signage. The crowd was thinner then but as 3:00 p.m. started to tick in, the bystanders were already getting numerous and also a bit unruly. And then they came. Masked dancers in wonderful colors and costumes were approaching the plaza dancing into what later seemed to be a quite difficult beat to dance with. I never liked this year's theme song. I still love the old Latin and Samba beat. During the old days, even bystanders would sway themselves along with the Rumba and Salsa. This year, the beat wasn't really what I fancy it to be. I still wish next year they would return to the old Latin Beat which has really become Masskara's trademark.

I had to fight my way into the frontline. The street was getting narrower and narrower by the minute. Everyone wanted to take a closer look at the parade. Everyone wanted to take a better view. I had to squirm my way and elbow myself into the front row to take much better pictures for my collection as well. It was a thrill to be with a crowd. Well, not as electrified as during the previous years (maybe as I said, still due to a poor choice of beat for this year's theme song) but I was totally drawn to the great costumes.

I found my way back to the plaza where I tried for the last time to get in but I had to settle myself beneath the Flagpoles where I tried standing on one of those concrete ledges already occupied by bystanders. From my viewpoint all I could see where the heads of those seated at the bleachers and the tall headdresses of the dancing contingents. The heat was bearing down as well I had to find a vendor selling bottled water.

It was already getting dark at around 5:30 p.m. and I decided I should head home before the place turns a little unsafe. In big events like these, it is always a perennial problem to have this petty thefts and pickpocketings. I had to place my wallet inside my back pack instead of inside my rear pocket just to be safe. Even as I have left, the people at the public plaza was still numerous.

Later that evening, I watched the remaining contingent of dancers dance at the public plaza on TV. Indeed, nothing beats the comfort of watching the Masskara in your homes on TV but it ain't a festival if you aren't there. All in all, it was one heck of an experience. Congratulations to Bacolod City!

Comments

Popular Posts