You're The 1, Goldilocks
If someone would ask me about my childhood and the things that I could remember, among those which I could never forget are the images of my favorite Childhood dessert. In the late 1980's and even early 1990's, Goldilocks had not yet established a single outlet in Bacolod. Thus, when my mother brought home a box of polvoron wrapped in that recognizable golden yellow wrappers from one of her trips in Manila, it was at an instant a curious sight. Of course, any pasalubong would delight any child but of the many pasalubongs brought home by my mother, this one caught my attention. Sure, I still would love to receive a toy or a nice coloring book and I would squeal with anticipation whenever I would find a box of chocolates along with other pasalubongs. But ever since that first encounter, I would always expect a box or two of Goldilocks polvoron from my mother or father whenever they would come home from one of their out-of-town trips.
The taste of Goldilocks' polvoron was unique and I could almost still recall how it tasted in my mouth the first time I had it. The sweet scent was already making me want for more even before I could finish one.
But Goldilocks was more than just a sweet fulfillment for the tastebuds. It almost became a symbol of thoughtfulness. Before they would leave for Manila or Iloilo, I would always remind them to bring home a box of Goldilocks polvoron. And without fail, they would always bring back a box. Thus, no matter what happened during the day, a box of Goldilocks polvoron would cheer me up and make my day. Thus, Goldilocks has become a childhood icon.
A few years later, Goldilocks found its way in our bustling city along with the appearances of huge malls. And in almost any corner of downtown Bacolod, Goldilocks is almost in every corner. I no longer had to travel far just to buy a Goldilocks product. I can enjoy it anytime and everytime I would, the best of my childhood memories would come flashing back.
Even now that I am older and already married and with my own kids, Goldilocks still remains a part of our daily lives, particularly during those big social occasions. Whether it would be my daughter's birthday or a simple get-together family gathering at home, a Goldilocks cake or box of other sweeties would always bring color and sweetness on our family table.
You're the one, Goldilocks because you made my childhood complete. Thanks for the best memories.

Comments