To See The Forest, And Not Just The Trees

I couldn't help it. I just had to buy an internet card even though the price is robbery in daylight. I just had to blog my insights for today. Plus, I needed to post a shout-out to my wife and kids back home. I do miss them. Anyway, today is Day 2 of the Health Leaders and Managers for the Poor training in Tagaytay. The entire day was really insightful. The morning started with a lecture on health inequities by Professor Garilao (former DAR secretary). It was an interesting lecture. I was able to participate during the discussion, giving my example of what I feel is an "inequity" in my health system. The example I gave was with regards to facility-based deliveries. The existing policy is to encourage mothers to have their babies delivered in a health facility, attended by skilled health workers. The objective is to reduce maternal mortality rate. While I was able to improve this health status in my community, the problem is still "unsolved" especially when it comes to mothers residing in far-flung areas. Distance and poverty are factors. Those who are far from a health facility and cannot afford to pay for local transportation would end up delivering their babies at home instead of inside a health facility.

The lecture was followed by a rare Q&A portion with the top leaders of the Zuellig Family Foundation: Ambassador Romulo, Professor Garilao and Dr. Romualdez (former DOH secretary). It was an interesting exchange of candid thoughts and ideas.

The afternoon activities were spent sharing on our life experiences, especially our low and high moments as leaders in our respective fields. We were able to talk about our strenghts and weaknesses as leaders, our values which we would never compromise. We even attempted to answer the question: What is my purpose in life? What is my life's message?

The day was really insightful. It was really looking at the forest, and not just the trees. The Health scenario was shared and gaps were identified. The challenge was left: how to address these gaps as health leaders and managers? Professor Garilao's talk on Bridging Leadership was really insightful at the same time very affirming of what I do at work.

As for me, being the youngest "fellow", I am grabbing every opportunity to learn from the masters, from Chiefs of Hospitals, long-time Municipal health officers, middle-managers, etc.

It was really "cerebrally" stimulating and at the same time enriching to the soul. I consider this as a pep talk.

The weather is improving and I do hope it will remain as such.
P.S. pictures will follow next week. I forgot to bring my memory reader so all pictures are in my cellphone memory as of the moment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give Your Support.

Visita Iglesia: Tracing The Pilgrim's StepsIn Europe Part Two

The Weekend in Tallinn