2009 Sandugo Awards


I just came back from Manila, having attended the 11th National Sandugo Awards for Local Government Executives at the Diamond Hotel. Our Mayor, Cicero Borromeo, is a Sandugo Awardee for the first time. Acting Mayor Jimmy Tiaga accepted the award in his behalf. Together with Major Tiaga were me and Tito Treas, our Municipal Treasurer. I call him Tito because he is my mother-in-law's cousin. It was an inspiring night, to witness the grand awarding ceremonies. It was my first Sandugo Awarding and I have to admit I was starstrucked by the many VIPs present. Included in the VIPs were Sec. Francisco Duque himself, DOH secretary, his Undersecretary, Mario Villaverde, and other popular governors and mayors of other cities and provinces. TV personality Pinky Webb was also present that night to receive a commendation in behalf of ABS-CBN's XXX for their expose on illegal selling of blood products.

Negros Occidental was the most be-medalled province that night, with majority of the awardees and hall of famers coming from the Province of Negros Occidental. Of course, Governor Zayco was there together with other Provincial government officials. PHO Dr. Luisa Efren was there. Other mayor-awardees were also present. In fact, I was with Mayor John Rey Tabujara of Cauayan during our flight to Manila yesterday morning.

After the awarding, I was able to join the table of Mayor Eric Saratan, MD of Talisay and the young mayor of Don Salvador Benedicto. The mayor of Ilog, Mayor Joyce Alvarez, was also present. Of course, fellow health workers present that night were also there, especially from neighboring towns and members of the South Negros Interlocal Health Zone.

I am hoping that we can sustain this award for next year and I am optimistic that we can once again garner a Sandugo Award for 2009.








Comments

Popular Posts