The Curse of the Friday the 13th

The curse of the Friday the 13th did come exactly on the stroke of midnight. I was doing some overtime on my laptop last Thursday and I was trying to finish some work when around quarter to 12, my laptop showed signs of "weirdness". Scanning the disk with an antivirus only proved it to be fatal. There were viruses(!) in my laptop and there were many of them. I didn't have a stronger antivirus during that time. I did try to install a Norton Antivirus 2009 only to find out that it was all too late. By 12 midnight, I could no longer log in to my laptop. It displayed more of its "weirdness", to the point that it was almost "possessed". At around 1:30 a.m., Friday the 13th, it breathed its last. There was really no choice but to have the entire disk reformatted, suspecting that the OS was already corrupted.

The tragic thing was, I failed to make back-ups for my latest files. Although I have some old files left in my USB, they were not enough. Some of my more important files were no longer retrievable. I went to the technician early this morning, had my laptop reformatted and after a few hours, it was already new. It was my laptop's first ever reformatting and I think it would not even be the last.

I am really planning to fortify my laptop with the latest and strongest antivirus. When I visited the service center of Acer here in Bacolod, I was informed that they are selling this antivirus which comes highly recommended. I am planning to purchase it by next week. Meanwhile I have also inquired about buying a new battery pack for my laptop. Thanks to my "abusive" use of my laptop, I have also "overcharged" my battery pack. Now, instead of lasting for a maximum of 2 hours, my battery would discharge after only 30 mins.

The service center took all the information about my laptop and promised to call me once they have already inquired from Manila the price of a compatible battery pack for my laptop. I have also decided to upgrade my RAM next week to 1G.

So, after a long and hectic week, I can now enjoy a weekend of rest and relaxation with the family.





Post Classified Ads That Produce Results

Comments

foongpc said…
Oh, the curse of Friday the 13th seemed to work its way into your laptop. Haha! I have encountered virus attacks before leaving my laptop unable to start Windows. I hated it!! yeah, I guess a strong anti-virus software is very important. Also very important is always remember to constantly make back-ups for your important files! : )

Popular Posts