Pasta and Easter

I make it a point to celebrate Easter Sunday, whether it would be pomp or discreet. This year was no exception. During Maundy Thursday I had my grocery rush, bought me the ingredients to my favourite dish in the world: spaghetti. Since the day I learned how to cook pasta, I was experimenting with different kinds of spaghetti sauce. Last Thursday, I decided to make it simple. So I bought only half a kilo of pasta, 3/4 kilo of sweet Spaghetti sauce, a can of mushrooms and spaghetti meat sauce, a can of beef sausages, butter, onions, garlic and mozarella cheese. It was my first time to use mozarella cheese and I am not even sure if I am spelling it correctly as of the moment. Anyway, during Easter morning, after having set-up our plastic pool in the yard and filled it with water for my kids to play with, I cooked away in the kitchen. I only had an hour to do so since we had to prepare for the 10 a.m. mass.

For those who don't know how to cook spaghetti, it is really very very simple. Of course you have to cook the pasta first. Cooking the pasta is simple but very tricky. You have to avoid overdoing it or "under-doing" it (if there ever is a word for it). I usually boil 1 1/2 liter of water after adding at least 2 spoonfuls for iodized salt (it has to be iodized!). As soon as the water starts boiling, I add the pasta, let them soften a bit and start stirring them occasionally. I sometimes add a teaspoonful of vegetable oil just to make sure the pasta doesn't stick to the container. I have to regulate my flame too. After half an hour of stirring and if I am contented with the firmness of my pasta, I take them out, rinse them with tap water and let them stand in a corner while I cook the sauce.

Cooking the sauce is a lot trickier. As soon as the container is hot, I place my butter and let it melt. I then add my chopped garlic and onions, stir for a bit and then my chopped sausages. Usually I add ground beef (usually 1/2 kilo) and stir until the beef is cooked. Then I add my can of mushrooms and spaghetti meat sauce. Once they start boiling again, I add my spaghetti sauce. I then add at least a glass of water and a few sprinkles of sugar to taste.

Last Sunday, I decided to add mozarella cheese in the sauce. So I added a generous serving of mozarella, stirred the hot sauce and then added my pasta in. I stirred for at least 15 mins. Then I added mozarella cheese on top for a little bit of presentation.

After the Easter Mass, we all went back home and ate our Easter spaghetti for lunch.

Happy Easter Everyone!


Comments

Anonymous said…
I put a little bit of butter on the noodle after being boiled and drained which keeps them from sticking to each other. I also put a little bit of mixed herbs on them.

Iodized salt? why? Rock Salt should be okey.
Bluesolstice said…
iodized salt because pro-ASIN law ako. hehehe
Anonymous said…
pro Asin Law? anyway whatever makes you happy bayenn.

Popular Posts