Thanksgiving Dinner a la Mini-Family Reunion


It is great when the family comes for dinner. In my case, it is truly a meeting of more than two worlds. I come from a large family and when I got married, this large family just got larger. Last September 8, I hosted a thanksgiving dinner exclusively for family and very close friends. Coincidentally, that day was also Sept 8, Mother Mary's Birthday. The original plan was to have a thanksgiving mass at the restaurant but the priest I contacted and recommended by Miss Boogie told me that there's a new ruling now in the Church with regards to that sort: they are no longer allowed to hold masses outside a chapel or a church.

So, what I did was come up with a thanksgiving prayer service, just a simple prayer service, to emphasize that the thanksgiving and gratitude were all due to the Lord. That morning, for the first time, it rained so hard my son and I enjoyed a nice bath under the rain. We took it as a visible sign of Mary's blessing for me and my family; not to mention the farmers and planters who were dying for rain.



The thanksgiving dinner almost became a family reunion. From my father's side, my aunties and cousins from up north came. Nong Bobby brought fish and giant shrimps which we immediately cooked and were served during dinner. Of course Nang MinMin was there and Tita Budak who is my father's eldest sister. She was on her 3rd year medicine proper when at that time she decided to enter the convent and become a nun. Eventually she left the convent and started a family of her own. Tita Manuela was also there who became our impromptu emcee for the evening. Tita Tresing and Tito Rudy couldn't make it but Nong Ian was there with Nang Daday and my niece and nephew Squeaky and Lake.

Of course from my mother side, the Balinas family were there, except for my cousin Jun who was in Cebu working and couldn't make it home in time. Tito Juanito brought the heaviest lechon from his piggery. Tita Gilda and Tita Melda were there, with Lola Sabel, our grand matriarch, who is already 86 years old. My cousins of course were also there: Jaremie, Julie Ann and Mahal.

Of course, the Puentevella family were also present, with Tita Patching and Congressman Monico himself heading the clan. Tito Art and his wife Tita Beth and Tita Josie were also present with former Miss Maskara Nicole, who also passed her nursing board exams, and sister Natalie. Compadre Nicky Boy was also there and surprisingly, Tito Wewe came just in time for dessert. And he gave me a gift too!

As soon as Tito Monico came he immediately asked me my plans and how he could help. I shared to him my plans and he told me if I needed any help, especially in D.O.H., he is just a text away.

Of course, the Salido family was there too, with Nanay bringing the cakes and all. In fact, Tita Beth wanted to ask whether my mother-in-law was into pastry and baking business. I told her that Nanay is a teacher and baking cakes is just a hobby.

Closest friends who came were Engineer Bryant and Doctor Kathy Lucero who brought the wine. Members of the SRM PTA were also present, who were close friends of my wife Roann.

It was a fun and informal night, with some relatives and friends standing up to the microphone giving their tributes to the unworthy me. Tita Patching and Congressman Monico individually gave their advice and made their own tribute speech. It was fun and it was successful.

At the end of the impromptu program, I was asked to say something before the family. I told them how thankful I was for their support and I gave credit to my ever-loyal prayer brigade. I also shared to them my plans, whether or not I would go into residency and which department I will apply. Whatever that choice is, it is only those who were there who know.

I also gave testimony to the power of prayer and generosity of God. I always said it time and time again that it was truly through Divine Providence that I made it this far. I told them that they should continue praying for me especially now that I start a career for myself and my family. I thanked my wife and my parents and my entire family.

At home, we ended the night finishing off Kathy's white wine. :-)


Comments

Popular Posts