Why I Am Voting For These People


This blog is supposed to be in Macellarius Est, my other blog, but I have decided to place it here anyway. Tomorrow is elections and 12 seats in the Senate are up for grabs. Other positions for contention are the positions for congressman, mayor, vice mayor, and councilors. This is my third time to vote. The first time was last 2001. For the first time though, I am going to declare in public, at least through this blog here, who I am most likely to vote for tomorrow morning.

For Senators:
1. Migz Zubiri - I am voting for him because I believe in his pro-environment agenda, his pro-youth agenda and being a Negrense, I am confident that he would be helpful in advocating our sugar industry, especially the workers and planters. Migz have been consistent in these platforms of government since his days as congressman. He would fit well in the Senate.
2. Mike Defensor - I am voting for him because I laud his housing projects for the poor, during the time he was still a member of the President's cabinet. Many poor people have benefited in his drive to give away land and legitimate ownership of those lands, especially to the former Smokey Mountain squatters.
3. Ed Angara - I am voting for him because I believe in his free education program. During his stay as Senator, he has proven himself to be a true and effective legislator, having written many laws that have been beneficial to many, especially the education program for the poor.
4. Ralph Recto - I am voting for him because I believe in his E-VAT law. While the E-VAT law has been quite unpopular, it cannot be denied that because of E-VAT, the government's revenues have increased, confidence level of foreign investors have increased thus strengthening the peso against the dollar. Before E-VAT came to law, the exchange rate is almost 55 pesos for 1 U.S. dollar. Now, it is 47 pesos for 1 dollar, and analysts say, it is going to even reach 46 if not 45. Progress will take time and the benefits of these economic developments will surely be felt among the people in due time but at least we have made the first steps.
5. Prospero Pichay- I am voting for him because I believe in his programs for the cooperatives, agriculture and the youth. Pichay may be unpopular in a sense that he has been associated with the administration since his days as congressman, but Pichay has a lot to offer, particularly for the provinces.
6. Tito Sotto - I am voting for him because I believe in his anti-PPA arrangement agenda. I believe in his legislative agenda, one of which is to pass the Government Procurement Reform Act.
7. Joker Arroyo - I am voting for him because I believe in his consistency and tenacity. Joker remains to be one of the most fearless senators in the Philippine Senate. His fight against corruption knows no favor.
8. Tessie Aquino Oreta - Yes, I am voting for her because I believe that while she danced her way to infamy during the Erap impeachment, she has been sincere in asking for forgiveness even before she decided to run for elections. She is perhaps the lesser evil compared with Loren Legarda, who during the Erap impeachment cried her eyes out and raised her fists against the ousted corrupt president. Her ambitious drive to propel herself through the political staircase of power has demoted her from stateswoman to a simple trapo. I met her personally in USLS during my pre-med days. Congressman Neux introduced me to her after her forum with the students. I shook her hands with admiration then. Now, I am totally turned off.
9. Chavit Singson - I am voting for him because he was the main reason why we have been successful in ousting a truly corrupt President. Chavit has remained consistent in his stand against Erap, against his illegal activities such as jueteng, money laundering and gambling. Chavit may be an unpopular choice but as a consistent anti-Erap myself I believe we need people who have stayed the course against this president who pretended to be for the masses but instead fooled the entire nation.
10. Vic Magsaysay - I am voting for him because I believe in his pro-poor agenda. His stint as governor of a large province has proven himself to be a man for the poor, just like Ramon Magsaysay, former President.
11. Sultan Kiram - I am voting for him because I believe it is high time we need a Moslem representative in the Upper House. His Royal highness is the best representative for the Muslim people and his presence in the senate shall give attention to the needs of our Muslim brothers, especially Mindanao.
12. Cesar Montano - I am voting for him because among the artistas who are running for the same position, Cesar is the best option. His stint as UNESCO commissioner shall be beneficial, especially in the tourism aspect of our country.

For local positions.
1. Monico Puentevella - I am voting for him for congressman of the lone district of Bacolod because of his 6 years of proven performance and service to his constituents. Unlike his predecessor Atty. John Orola, Monico has written at least one national law, The Quarantine Act, in response then to the threatening SARS and Avian Flu. He is currently co-author of the Biofuels Law, a law that would respond to the threatening oil price hikes. His health program for the poor of Bacolod has served at least 30,000 individuals. His water system program has served all 61 barangays of Bacolod. I am voting for him because I believe in his fight against an OVERPRICED government center which is currently being built by the city under Mayor Bing. Through the efforts of Monico, the SEA Games were held in Bacolod City last 2005, the first time outside of Manila.
2. Joy Valdez - I am voting for her for mayor of Bacolod City because I believe she is the best person for the job among the present contenders for the position. Mayor Bing has failed miserably as mayor. He has not been transparent especially in the transactions with Hillmarc with regards to the overpriced government center. He has been vindictive against the baranggays where he lost during the previous elections. He has not even solved the traffic problems of our city. Sidewalk vending is still rampant and tolerated. There is no concrete health program of the city for its constituents.
3. Elmer Sy - I am voting for him for vice mayor of Bacolod City because while he does not frequently speak in public, he has been noted to be a man of action and prefers to do action instead. In addition, I believe that the mayor and vice mayor should be working hand in hand in order to better serve the people thus I am voting for the vice mayor of my prefered mayor.

I am voting all councilors of the PERFORMANCE Team: Lucasan, Garcia, Ferrer, Alisbo, Dilag, Puentevella Jr (who is my compadre), Las Piñas, Tañada, Doc Iledan, Familiaran. Since there are two slots left, I am voting independent candidates Celia Flor and Atty. Batapa-Sigue.



Last Friday, I attended the Performance Team's Miting de Avance at the Capitol South Road at the Capitol Lagoon. The road is estimated to be at least close to a kilometer long and about close to a 100 meters wide. That stretch of road was filled with people, including half the road passing infront of The Capitol leading to the South Road. An estimate of at least 30,000 people were present. Grupo Progreso during that time had their "Baldog Night", obviously a black propaganda night rally at the public plaza. Only around 100 people attended. The following night, Grupo Progreso had their own miting de avance at the Public Plaza. The plaza was filled up with supporters but because it was such a small place compared to the South Capitol Road it wasn't that difficult to fill up. The plaza can accommodate at the most 10,000 people (the area fronting the stage alone). I need not elaborate further.

P.S. Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Popular Posts