Curtain Call

Today is the last day of my internship. Last night, I had my last 24-hour duty at OB-GYNE. Last Saturday, we attended our "graduation night" at Business Inn, along with the junior consultants, consultants, and incoming post graduate interns. Dra. Johnson, CEO of BOLMSH, prepared a well-thought speech for us. She reminded us how special we are to her as a group and how she will never forget "Dr. Diaper" (Melvin Chico) and the "December Floods". In the middle of the graduation, we presented 4 video clips, 3 of which I edited (Gesper made a very nice movie tribute also). 2 of the presentations were a tribute to mentors and friends. Best Intern citations were handed out that night: Kenneth for Dept of Medicine, Leah for Dept of Surgery, Marc Japitana for Dept of OB-GYNE and me for Dept of Pediatrics. Mark Agana was darling of the nurses and over-all outstanding intern.

After the pictorials and bidding of goodbyes and wishing goodlucks, I went home to my wife and daughter who will be having her christening tomorrow.

Last night was a "last day toxicity" for me. I had two successive NSDs and 3 successive stat C-sections. I also had early morning admissions and attended to the longest NSD assist this morning. After doing a quick breakfast, submitting all my paper works and wishing every station farewell, I left the hospital this morning tired, relieved and sad. I will miss the people in this hospital. This may not really be the best and most high-end institution in this city, but I shall never forget the people here: the nurses, staff, orderlies and the junior consultants. For most of them I have considered them family.

I shall miss the days I have spent with my fellow PGIs: the late night talks, the early morning rounds, the conference rush, the nerve-wracking revalidas, even the brief happy moments where we settle ourselves inside the Oncall room and share jokes. I shall miss the LR beds where I usually sleep on while waiting for a patient in labor. I shall miss that E.R. rush as well especially when we are swamped with patients. I shall miss the wards, both the warm and the chilly ones. I shall miss the people at the cafeteria and the routine stop at the dietary at the basement. I am happy to have ended my PGIship but I cannot help but cry in silence because of the pain of separation. For one whole year, I became attached to so many people in the hospital, including the long staying patients and my fellow PGIs.

A new chapter opens tomorrow and new challenges await. Before I left the hospital I dropped by the Divine mercy chapel at the ground floor and prayed perhaps for the last time. "Thank you, Lord"

Comments

Popular Posts