Thanksgiving Day

While Thanksgiving Day is not an official holiday in the Philippines, my family and I went out last night to celebrate not exactly Thanksgiving Day but my sister's birthday. We had dinner at Aboy's and for the first time after so many years, the entire family went bowling at Negros Super Lanes in Goldenfields. While we were younger, and when my parents still used to work at their respective sugar milling companies, almost every holidays, officemates would have bowling tourneys and we would join along and have our own little tourney at the side. When the sugar crisis of the late 1990s happened, bowling tournaments have been abandoned as part of cost-cutting measures. We used to enjoy these moments together. So last night, all of us, including my son Rien, went bowling. It was a rocky start at first. It has been a long time since I played duckpin bowling. But it was still fun and has remained fun after all this years.



I guess if there are some things I should thank for, they are my wife and kid, my own family and friends. I have both been blessed and "cursed" for this year and so far, there have been moments when I felt more cursed than blessed. The hard times are here and whether it may be about finances or my work or the carreer I have chosen, life has never been this challenging. But it is because of family and friends that I am able to survive the crises.

I love my wife. I love my kid. I love my family and I love my friends. They have been there every step of the way. While I do miss old friends, I am glad that God has given me new friends to help me make it to the other side of life's huge humps.

Christmas Season is a week from now and we PGIs are getting busy busy busy. We have been practicing Christmas carols for our carolling project this December and so far, we are doing some progress. Under maestro Gerard, the group has been learning so many songs, both Tagalog and English (and even Latin courtesy of Andylou) and we are all getting excited. No "professional" help required.

December is a hectic month and so far my only wish for this Christmas is to have my first 13th month pay from BOLMSH. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts