Blogs Are Powerful

I was approached by a JI this morning to ask me about "what happened" with me regarding "a fight" I had with a "surgeon". After much clarifications, I soon found out the JI was talking about the controversial blog (it was actually more of the controversial 'anonymous' comments in that blog entry)I wrote a few days back. This JI told me that another JI told him/her that Dr. Guancia, the diety himself, the All-Powerful head of the Department that (s)cares (Internal Medicine), told them about me having been in a fight with a surgeon over something I wrote. Of course I laughed in the sense that rumors do get distorted in some way along the handing down process.

From the way I was getting it from others, I was the one who started the fight with this "surgeon". Let's make some clarifications first. Number one: I never had a fight with a surgeon, whether it would be in real life or in this blog. Number two: the guy who wrote those comments introduced himself/herself as anonymous therefore there can be no certain way of knowing whether he/she is a surgeon or even a doctor for that matter. Number three: even if that anonymous person is indeed a doctor or surgeon in real life, the comments he/she left and the responses he/she has received from me were simply to be placed in the context of his/her lack of faith in the batch of medical students I belong with. Like any other loyal member of the batch, it is a normal instinct to respond with fierce loyalty to any criticisms hurled against me or the batch. Number four: most agree, that anonymous person's comments were lacking of substance and were simply written out to attack personalities rather than the issue at hand. Number five: Despite that, opinions are highly respected and in the case of this anonymous commentator, they should be taken as a challenge. Number six: Assuming indeed that this anonymous person was a doctor, some of his/her personal comments were too below the belt, making himself/herself much lower than what is properly expected from him/her as a doctor (again, assuming that HE/SHE IS A DOCTOR). Number seven: Having said that, in my opinion, having made all of those comments as an anonymous person, makes that person somebody we call tiope.

As for me, I see no big deal about the arguments we have both left in that blog. For me, it was a good exercise in debating skills. How I missed my high school years, when I used to join and represent my year level in debate contests. We would win, of course, and the thrill of being in argument with somebody over a worthwhile issue punto por punto is exhilirating. It releases tension and even helps exercise the mind. However, I get the feeling that people like me find it too frightful to have "an argument" with a doctor. It is almost like going against a diving authority of some sort. Well, my parents never taught me to kiss ass. And the only authorities I shall never dare argue with are Papal authority and Parental Authority. I have always believed that for as long as you believe in what you hold to be true, then there is no space for fear. Stand up for your principles. Defend them with wit and tact. Never compromise them. In my life I only have 5 principles to live by: Faith in God, Honor of Family, Integrity of Self, Loyalty to Friends and Patriotism to Country. These Five I shall never compromise. For I shall rather have enemies and keep my principles than earn friends and lose them. A man without principles is a ship without an anchor in the middle of the storm. His life shall be blown away in the direction to which the gusts blow. But the man whose life is anchored on his beliefs shall always remain steadfast. He shall weather the brutalities of the hurricane. He shall remain and shall be the first to see the emergence of the sun.

Since that blog entry, so many are now trying to read this blog, curious of what's next in the life of a Lasallian PGI training in BOLMSH. Sure, we will still encounter the same shit all the day, but it's never really the same, isn't it? There is always that surprise waiting around the corner. Today, laughter predominates. The next day, tensions among PGIs do. And the next, more serious stuff. The life of a PGI is as ordinary as anyone's life, only seen in a different angle. It's a big adventure. And I can't wait to know what's waiting for me tomorrow.

But enough about that now. The test of the pudding is in the eating as they say. Let us wait for next year and let Fate itself decide for Batch 2006.

Oh yes, congratulations to Radcibel Caram for having topped the Internal Medicine Oral Exams last August 30, 2006. Mark Agana also topped the previous Oral Exams making it a 2 for 2 for BOLMSH. The Oral Exam is given to all PGIs of both BOLMSH and RMC rotating in the department. So far, BOLMSH has consecutively topped the Orals. Way to go guys! Kudos also to Andy, Kenneth and Marc for also passing the Oral Exams

Comments

Popular Posts