The Surgical PGI

I had a bad toothache last night so, while I only had two admissions during my entire 24hours duty, I stayed up late nursing a whacked tooth, took two tabs of Tramadol, Mefenamic acid and Ibuprofen and fell asleep at around 5 a.m. already. I had to cut my sleep short because I had to wake up for a 7:30 a.m. cholecystectomy with Dr. Mogul.

So, without even bothering to comb my hair and eat my breakfast, I dragged myself to the O.R., just when my patient was already being wheeled in by the orderlies. THe Anesthesiologist was already inside but Dr. Mogul wasn't yet so I was hoping Melvin, who was on call today, could come on time for the O.R. so he could assist instead of me. He did come and I was able to salvage some time for me to continue my sleep. My toothache was already subsiding by then but I still need to see a dentist and have this tooth pulled out. Easier said than done considering that I got no time to excuse myself from the hospital. But I should talk to Clarissa's mom, who is a dentist, if I could set an appointment with her.

Anyway, even if I didn't scrub anymore, I still decided to hang out a bit inside the O.R., watched my perhaps nth cholecystectomy and stole a few moments to take some pictures. I was able to get this beautiful picture of all the surgeons' hands digging inside the deepened Kocher's incision made on the patient. The lighting was perfect and I thought it was a nicely taken picture, even for a cellphone camera. I guess I should be posting it in my deviantart.

I went out when the Intraoperative cholangiogram was about to be performed. I buried myself under the bedsheet in our on call room right after I had breakfast and endorsed my admissions to Con-Con. I slept up until 11:30 a.m. Went home afterwards and continued my somnolent moment. I wanted to watch the Football Match between Sweden and Paraguay but my eyes were too tired to open themselves up.

Tomorrow is Sunday and I am on-call. Hopefully there'd be no elective or stat surgeries tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts