Dinosaur's Egg

It was a weird day last Monday June 19. Along with the Santol Seeds Kid (see previous blog), I also admitted a young female, single, with no history of sexual contact, with a very distended abdomen. I had an animated conversation with her and her mom and during the course of my history taking, I discovered that she had been diagnosed earlier with a huge ovarian mass on her left ovary. The mass was said to be benign in nature. The mass had been growing in size for the past 5-6 months and she had been advised for surgical removal of the said mass.

During the entire period, she had not experience any other signs and symptoms other than the distending abdomen and occasional abdominal pain. There had been no signs that would indicate an obstructive syndrome. Last Wednesday, June 21, 2006, I tried to catch up on her early morning exploratory laparotomy. I failed to witness how the ovarian mass was excised but I was able to see the specimen removed from my patient.

It was huge! Perhaps twice as big as a human adult head. I later conversed with her and her mom on her second day post-op and shared with them the pictures of the ovarian mass I took during the operation.

Comments

Popular Posts