Day Three - PGI Story

Day Two - it was my first 24-hour duty. During the entire duty, we were able to admit 4 patients: a case of inguinal hernia, a case of an ovarian new growth, a case of acute appendicitis and a case of partial intestinal obstruction secondary to a colonic mass. I was first assist during the appendectomy of the said patient and Dr. Yu, the attending surgeon did it in 30 mins. I slept at around 12 midnight and woke up as early as 6:30 a.m.

Day Three - started with a cold bath, a warm breakfast made of corned beef and fried eggs courtesy of our friends in the dietary section and rounds at the surgical ward. Because Dr. Garcia, the consultant in charge of the clerks was in Cebu City for a convention, we interns took charge of the morning endorsement.

After endorsement, I went to the university, tried to finish my clearance and went back at the hospital for lunch. I told the clerks to prepare for their reporting during the afternoon. A quiz was to follow after the reporting. We went through with the reporting, topic was on the gallbladder with a case of choledochocystolithiasis as our case in example. I then gave them a 20-item quiz, the highest was 19/20; the lowest was 15/20. The poor guy who got the lowest score had to treat us to afternoon snacks tomorrow as part of the deal.

After the quiz, all of us went with Dr. Soribio to assist and watch him do an IV cut down in one of the patients. The rest of the afternoon was spent laughing and joking with some of the fellow interns in the on-call room.

Went home at around 4:30 p.m., fetched my wife and son in our internet cafe, bought dinner to go at Jollibee's and went to work in my pc.

Tomorrow I'm on call.

Comments

Popular Posts