Thank You Lord!


The results are out. And I made it! Along with my other batchmates who made it, our performance in the recent medical board exams made University of Saint La Salle 2nd in Western Visayas and 12th Nationwide! To God Be The Glory.

I received this good news through text evening of August 15, 2007. I was waiting for the results as early as the morning of August 15. I started the day with a Mass at the USLS Chapel. August 15 was coincidentally the Feast of the Assumption and the last day after my novena to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. After the mass at the chapel, I went to the nearby Redemptorist Church to offer my last prayer request to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I checked my cellphone and still no word from anyone about the results.
I then hurried to the San Sebastian Cathedral and lit a candle in front of the Divine Mercy and said a prayer at the adoration chapel. I was asking for strength to face whatever the results of the exams. I was asking for God to make me pass the boards. I was asking Him to make my entire batch pass the boards. I checked at my cellphone again and still no word.

By the time it was evening, I was already anxious. At around 7:30 pm, I received a text from Marc who was still in Cebu, telling me that PRC would be releasing the results that evening. As soon as I read the message, we heard some singing outside the house. It was the voice of an old man playing a religious hymn on his guitar. From the window I saw a child with the old man holding a light. My wife told me to give some money to them, so I went out to give the money. The child was holding a lit candle with a statue of a familiar Saint. It was San Roque and they were singing an old Hiligaynon hymn. I dropped my 10-peso coin inside the box and kissed the Statue. In that moment, I felt everything would be fine, regardless of the result. A Saint visited my house and it was all the sign I needed.

I said the rosary in my study room and lit the candle for Our Lady of Guadalupe. After the rosary I decided to relax and watched a movie in the living room with my already anxious wife. At around 10 pm, I turned my cellphone off and slept.

I woke up at around 1:30 a.m., awakened by my baby daughter. I decided to check my cellphone. Immediately 5 messages went in and then I received the good news. I passed the board exams. The messages were sent to me as early as 11:00 p.m. So it was official, at August 15, 2007, I became the first doctor in my family. And since it was on the feast of Mary, I now claim myself as a Marian Doctor.

I awakened my wife and told her the good news. I called up my parents and told them the good news. I tried sending text messages to friends thanking them for their prayers.

But my happiness was short-lived. I found out that Melvin, ConCon and Andy, my groupmates did not make it, along with Leah, Gabby and Neil. I said a prayer to God and told Him that He did not answer my prayers. I asked for a 100% passing rate. But he only made 17 of us pass. I prayed then for enlightenment and strength for my friends who did not make it. My faith tells me that God has a better plan for them.

The following day, my wife and I along with my eldest son went to the mall to have a mini-celebration of our own. I was receiving congratulatory messages in my cellphone but I was not answering them. It was time for family, the people who sacrificed so much just for me to make it.

This morning, I went back to my school and visited my teachers and thanked them for their prayers. I saw Ms. Ping Varela, Dra. Isulat, my cousin MinMin at Balayan, and two of my BS Bio teachers, Mrs. Saludar and Mrs. Tabaosares. Of course I dropped by the Medicine Office and thanked Dra. Cortez for the prayers. I also went to the I.S. Building and thanked Ms. Boogie and Ms. Ferrer for their prayers.

I really never thought that I would make it. The exams were tough and I felt so unprepared for such a tough exam. But I felt His presence and despite my disbelief, He showed me through signs that everything would be okay. During the final exam day, I saw a butterfly on the wall just above where I was seated. It stayed throughout the day, up until I was done with my final exam. I would like to believe that that butterfly was my guardian angel sent by my benefactor, Our lady of Guadalupe, just to make me feel that everything would be alright.

A day before the last Saturday of exams, my friends and I went to a pilgrimage to Simala Church in Cebu and visited the miraculous statue of Our Lady. In her church I prayed the rosary and left a petition prayer and a thanksgiving prayer. The day before I left Cebu I also went on a pilgrimage to Our Lady of the Rule in Mactan where I also prayed the rosary in her honor, asking her to guide me and my future. That time, I was asking that she would grant happiness to my family, no matter what would happen.

I am now a licensed doctor, thanks to Our Lady and the many who supported me through prayer. Now, a new life begins. New challenges await. A new adventure follows.

To God Be The Glory.


Comments

Anything Goes said…
Congrats bro, You made it

Popular Posts