Re-tracing The Steps: A Pilgrim's Story


My faith tells me that it was through Divine Intervention that made me become a licensed medical doctor. I need not overemphasize the obstacles that I needed to hurdle before I could reach this particular pit stop. Oh yes, it ain't over yet.

The Divine intervention began at the moment I chose to take the exams in Cebu City. There were three places in the country where I could take the board exams. Cebu was one of them; the other two were Manila and Davao. I decided to take Cebu not only because it was nearest and therefore cheapest, the city itself is historic and filled with churches. I knew before hand that I needed some Divine help in this endeavor and so I needed to be in a place where I could easily find the nearest source of Divine presence. I felt Cebu City was the right spot. And I wasn't wrong.

We left for Cebu on the 7th day of the 7th month of the 7th year of this millenium, at the 7th hour of the day. On the road to Cebu City via Don Salvador Benedicto, I was praying the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy. In my prayer, I promised to do Visita Iglesia in 7 churches in exchange for His promise of a successful board exams.

The first church I visited was the Basillica del Sto. Niño. It wasn't my first time there. When I took the NMAT and during my high school field trip, I already visited this place. It was only fitting that the first church that I should visit was the Church of the Sto. Niño, the patron of the Island of Cebu. We attended a mass and I made an offering for the entire batch. We lit candles also outside the church.

The second church I visited was the Redemptorist Church near Mango. It was a memorable experience for me since it was during the mass at the Redemptorist Church that I had this supernatural experience, when I felt the presence of God and the comfort of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I lit a candle infront of the miraculous image of Our Lady and left a thanksgiving prayer. Coincidentally, we visited the church during the feast of the Holy Redeemer.

The third church I visited was the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It was also by coincidence that during the week, we were praying a novena to Guadalupe. It was a beautiful church and I always believe that it was through her intercession that I was able to pass the boards. Every after the end of the exams, I would rush to this church and light 3 candles, one for every exam I took, and pray the rosary before her image.

The fourth church I visited was the Church of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. We lit candles before the image of our Lady and bought scapulars from a store inside the compound. I also left a petition in the mailbox of the carmelite nuns, asking for Our lady's intercession.

The fifth church I visited was the Church of San Jose in Mabolo. It was a huge church dedicated to St. Joseph. I find a special connection with St. Joseph since like me, he too was a father, and not just to an ordinary son. We prayed at the adoration chapel of the church at the end of the mass.

The sixth church I visited was the Church at Escario, also a marian church and it was a unique experience. We attended a healing mass at the church, the night prior to our exams. The relics of St. Pio was also present during the mass. After the mass, a special prayer service was conducted. The songs were wonderful, it was as if God was speaking to me through the songs.

The seventh church I visited was the Church at Simala, where the miraculous statue of Our Lady was housed. It was a monastery, run by the Marian monks of the Holy Eucharist. Simala is a town an hour away from Cebu City. The monastery is located on a hilly top overlooking the mountainous fringes of the town. In 1998, on the feast of the Birthday of Mary, the statue of Our Lady cried human tears. Since then and almost every feast day of Mary until 1999, the statue performed many signs, including the appearance of a scar just above her left eyebrow. From a simple grotto, a beautiful church was built and since that day, many pilgrims come to seek her favor. It was a supernatural experience for me. I left a thanksgiving prayer to our Lady and promised to come back to her once she would grant me my petition.

And she did of course.

Before I left Cebu, we went to Mactan Island to visit my last church, the Church of Virgen de la Regla. Before the image of the black madonna, I said a rosary thanking her for a successful and safe stay in Cebu.

It was grace therefore that brought me too Cebu, where not only did I take my board exams and passed it, but I was able to perform a pilgrimage to the Churches in this historic place. I am going back to Cebu to register for the oath taking which will be held in Manila, and to fulfill a promise to the miraculous Lady of Simala.


Comments

Popular Posts